1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass of a two rod system

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that I have a system with a rod of diameter 1 1/2 inches with a length of 17 in and a weight of 10 1/3 oz and a rod with a diameter of 3 inches with a length of 17 in and a weight of 20 2/3 oz. The two rods are butted together at one end almost looking like a bottle. What is the center of mass of the system?

2. Relevant equations
    Center of mass = 1/M Ʃ miri

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the center of mass of each rod for the thinner,lighter rod the center of mass is in the middle of that rod. For the thicker,heavier rod the center of mass is in the middle. I calculated the center of mass to be 2/3 of the way of the entire 34 inches from the thinner rod since the heavier rod carries 2/3 of the weight of the system. Would I be correct in saying that the center of mass of the system is 5 2/3 of the way into the bigger rod?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Show your calculation, so we can check that you have done this correctly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook