Center of Mass via Scalar Line Integrals

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Hashmeer
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A thin wire has the shape of the first quadrant part of the circle with center at the origin and radius a. If the density function is rho(x,y)=kxy, find the mass and center of mass of the wire.


Homework Equations


My parametric equation of the circle was x=a*cos(t) and y=a*sin(t).


The Attempt at a Solution


I really have no clue where to begin for finding the center of mass of the wire. I think I got the mass via integral(k*a^2*sin(t)*cos(t) dt = -(k*a^2)/2. Thanks for the help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hashmeer! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Hashmeer said:
… I think I got the mass via integral(k*a^2*sin(t)*cos(t) dt = -(k*a^2)/2.

No, mass = ∫ density*d(length),

and d(length) is not dt, it's … ? :smile:
 
Yea, I looked over my notes and I figured out what I need to do. Thanks for confirming what I was thinking was wrong.