Can There Be a Center of Charge Like Center of Mass?

• Thread starter gandharva_23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge Mass
In summary, a concept of center of mass can be applied if one assumes a point on the body to represent the whole body and assumes the entire mass to be concentrated at that point. To apply Newtons laws of motion one can assume a point on the body to represent the whole body and assume the entire mass to be concentrated at that point. To apply Coulomb's law can one assume all the charge of the body to be concentrated at a given point? Assume that the entire force is concentrated in one point of the body, at the center.
gandharva_23
like centre of mass can there be a concept of centre of charge . To apply Newtons laws of motion one can assume a point on the body to represent the whole body and assume the entire mass to be concentrated at that point . to apply coulomb's law can i assume all the charge of the body to be concentrated at a given point ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that the entire force is concentrated in one point of the body, at the center.

you probably dint get the question or i m unable to understand what u r trying to say .if i have 3 unequal point charges located on the vertices of an equilateral triangle then can i assume the whole charge to be concentrated at one point to represent the whole system ? i.e one can assume the entire charge to be concentrated at that point for the purpose of calculating the electric field intensity ? can we derive a general expression for coordinates of center of charge like center of mass ?

Hi ghandharva, if I understand your question correctly then the answer in general is no. Consider the following the situation. I have a positive and a negative charge fixed at either end of an uncharged rod which lies on the x axis. This system has no net charge but it still has a nonzero electric field. Furthermore, a positive charge placed further down the x-axis will exert a non-zero force on the system. As Astronuc talked about in your other thread on this topic, there is a sense in which only the total charge is relevant. If the total charge of a system is nonzero, then far away from the system the electric field of the system will look like the field of a single point charge whose magnitude is the sum of all the charges in the system. This is called the monopole part of the field, but in our case this term is zero since the total charge is zero. The result is that far away from the system the electric field looks like a dipole field which falls off as [tex] 1/r^3 [/tex] with distance unlike the [tex] 1/r^2 [/tex] dependence of the monopole term. Because many interesting systems are charge neutral, the dipole term is very important for many real world applications. See here for more: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/dipole.html

Hope this helps.

the explanation was pretty useful ... thanks a lot .

1. What is the "centre of charge for mass"?

The centre of charge for mass is a concept in physics that refers to the point in an object where its total mass is considered to be concentrated. It is also known as the "centre of mass" or "centroid."

2. How is the centre of charge for mass determined?

The centre of charge for mass is determined by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles in an object, where the weights are the masses of the particles.

3. Why is the centre of charge for mass important?

The centre of charge for mass is important because it helps us understand how an object moves and behaves. It is also used in the study of gravitational and electric fields, as well as in determining the stability of an object.

4. Can the centre of charge for mass be located outside of an object?

Yes, the centre of charge for mass can be located outside of an object. This is often the case for irregularly shaped objects or objects with uneven distribution of mass.

5. How does the centre of charge for mass differ from the centre of gravity?

The centre of charge for mass and the centre of gravity are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. The centre of gravity refers to the point where the force of gravity on an object can be considered to act, while the centre of charge for mass refers to the point where the total mass of an object is considered to be concentrated.