Centripetal Acceleration and period of rotation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 11K views
Heat
Messages
272
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In a test of a “g -suit,” a volunteer is rotated in a horizontal circle of radius 7.7m.

What must the period of rotation be so that the centripetal acceleration has a magnitude of 3.7g ?

What must the period of rotation be so that the centripetal acceleration has a magnitude of 10g?



Homework Equations


F=ma
w=ma
4pi^2r/T

The Attempt at a Solution



Ok I started by converting 3.7g, by doing this 9.8*3.7 = 36.26

4pi^2(7.7)/ 36.26

but it is wrong, how would I solve this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
4pi^2r/T

This isn't right, check the units. It's supposed to be acceleration, right? Did you derive it yourself?
 
I've been told it has something to do with the equation, although I don't think I am using properly.

what would you do in the following situation?
 
Well, start with the equation for centripetal acceleration, a = v^2/r. You need to relate it to the period. You can do that by the velocity term. What's a way to express the velocity of an object moving in a circle?
 
velocity would be distance/time.

Circumference = 2*pi*Radius

v=2pir/t ?
 
That's right. Now put that together with the a=v^2/r and you should come up with the equation you need.