1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Centripetal Acceleration formula derivation

1. Apr 25, 2016 #1
    Hello,
    This is a very basic question. I am sure I am doing something wrong in the derivation as shown in the picture. But I am not able to find out where I am doing it wrong. It would be very helpful if you can pls. let me know what I am doing wrong here.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2016 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You calculate the distance traveled in Δt. Why? And then you set that distance equal to the change in velocity? Why again?

4. Apr 25, 2016 #3
    Because in Δt, the velocity changes from v0 to v. And for small change in time this can be equal to the distance traveled because of the triangle similarities. That is what the assumption is behind the effort. Can you pls. elaborate where you find something wrong or missing ?

5. Apr 25, 2016 #4
    Actually,the assumption that for a small time interval, the change in velocity is equal to the distance travelled is wrong.

6. Apr 25, 2016 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

A change in velocity cannot equal a distance. You can use similar triangles: ##\frac{\Delta v}{v} = \frac{\Delta x}{r}##. Use that and you can easily derive the formula.

7. Apr 25, 2016 #6
    I got it now. It has to be the ratio...Thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted