1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal acceleration of fairgrounds ride

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1
    A fairgrounds ride spins its occupants inside a flying-saucer-shaped container. If the horizontal circular path the riders follow has a 8.00 m radius, at how many revolutions per minute will the riders be subjected to a centripetal acceleration 2.60 times that of gravity?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2014 #2

TumblingDice

Gold Member

Welcome to PF plowboy! How far have you gotten on your end? Do you understand the physics and forces involved? Have you formulated a mathematical approach?

4. Oct 1, 2014 #3
    I get you have to use ac=Vt/r and that r will equal 8 and ac= 2.60. I think you will change the formlua to ac*r=Vt

5. Oct 1, 2014 #4

TumblingDice

Gold Member

I think you're close and on the right track. Take a look at the wiki on Uniform Circular Motion here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_motion#Uniform

The equations mentioned after these texts can be simplified/adapted:
    and
    If we assume a mass of '1', can you see how the second equation for centripetal force simplifies to the first equation for acceleration? You mentioned an acceleration 2.60 times that of gravity. Do you know how to compute 2.6g?

I hope we're both on the right track! :w

6. Oct 1, 2014 #5

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

This thread really belongs in the homework forum, so I'm moving it there.

7. Oct 2, 2014 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted