How Do You Calculate the Centripetal Force for a Swinging Mass?

In summary, to find the force needed to swing a 4kg mass in a 3m radius horizontal circle, you can use the equation F=mv^2/r. Given that one cycle takes 2 seconds, you can find the number of cycles in 1 second and use that to calculate the angular velocity of the bat. From there, you can solve for the force needed, which is 118N. It is important to understand the periodic time in order to find the force.
Instanbul

Homework Statement

How much force is needed to swing a 4kg mass in a 3m radius horizontal circle so that each cycle takes exactly 2 seconds. Answer is 118N but the problem is how do I get to that...

Homework Equations

V=2Pir/T F=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using F=mv^/r one but I got nowhere close my teacher just solves problems without explaining at all and I have no clue how to solve it except find numbers.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I one cycle takes 2 seconds, how many cycles are in one second? Hence what is the angular velocity of the bat?

It doesn't say that's all the info that the problem gives me.

Instanbul said:
It doesn't say that's all the info that the problem gives me.

I am quite sure you can find the the number of cycles in 1 second given, that 1 cycle takes 2 seconds.

Aren't I looking for the force of the swing?

Last edited:
Instanbul said:
Aren't I looking for the force of the swing?

Yes but you need to get the periodic time to get F.

Oh I get it now thank you so much.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular path in order to keep an object moving in a circular motion. It is essentially the force that keeps an object from flying off in a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is often confused with centripetal force, but they are actually two different concepts. Centrifugal force is the perceived outward force that is felt by an object moving in a circular path, while centripetal force is the actual inward force that is required to keep the object moving in that circular path.

3. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some common examples of centripetal force include the rotation of the Earth around the sun, the rotation of a carousel, and the circular motion of a satellite around a planet.

4. How is centripetal force calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = (mv^2)/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. How does centripetal force affect the speed of an object?

Centripetal force does not directly affect the speed of an object, but it does affect the direction of the object's velocity. It constantly changes the direction of the object's velocity, but not its speed, in order to keep the object moving in a circular path.