Centroid of a shape with a half circle hole

In summary, the question is about finding the centroid of a cross section with a half-circle hole at the top. The area of the half-circle is given and the distance from the edge to the center is known. The problem is then simplified to finding the centroid of a semicircle, which is done by calculating an integral and flipping the result upside down.
cathliccat
I'm not sure if this is physics, but I thought I'd ask my question in case someone knows. In my effort to find the centroid of a cross section, I have a half-circle hole at the top of the shape. I know that the area is (r^2*pi)/2 and from the edge of cross-section to the center of the half-circle is 1.5 in. (The radius is .9 in.) How do I figure out the x and the y for the half-circle. Someone told me the x would be the distance 1.5 in. I'm not so sure about that. Thanks in advance if anyone knows what it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's difficult to understand the problem without a picture. Could you please post one?

picture

Here's the picture, I hope this works.

Attachments

• 9.13.jpg
    9.13.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,285
I'm assuming that you're just asking about the semicircle here and that once you know that, you'll know how to find the centroid of the given cross section. Here's one way to go about it:

Consider a semicircle that is the top half of a circle (radius R) centered at the origin. The semicircle is clearly symmetric about the y-axis, so xcm = 0. To find ycm, compute the following integral:

[tex] y_{cm} = \frac{\int_0^R{yw(y)dy}}{\frac{\pi R^2}{2}} [/tex]

where w(y) is the width of the element of area, given by

[tex] w(y) = 2*\sqrt{R^2-y^2} [/tex]

If you calculate that, you have the distance from the "base" of the semicircle (the flat side) to its centroid. Keep that in mind when you flip it upside down.

Related to Centroid of a shape with a half circle hole

What is a centroid?

A centroid is the point at which the entire mass of a shape is evenly distributed. It is the balance point of a shape, also known as the center of gravity.

How is the centroid of a shape calculated?

The centroid of a shape can be calculated by finding the average of the x and y coordinates of all the points that make up the shape. This can also be done by dividing the shape into smaller, simpler shapes and calculating the centroids of those shapes.

What is a half circle hole?

A half circle hole is a semicircular cutout in a shape. It is a common feature in many shapes, such as doughnuts or rings.

How does the presence of a half circle hole affect the centroid of a shape?

The presence of a half circle hole shifts the centroid of a shape closer to the hole. This is because the mass of the shape is concentrated around the edges of the hole, pulling the centroid towards it.

Can the centroid of a shape with a half circle hole be outside of the shape?

Yes, it is possible for the centroid of a shape with a half circle hole to be outside of the shape. This can occur if the half circle hole is significantly larger than the rest of the shape or if the shape is irregularly shaped. In these cases, the centroid may fall outside of the shape itself.