Centroid problem with y vector

In summary, the centroid problem with y vector is that the intersections are (0,0) and (2, 16), and the area between the two is 8/3.
bmanmcfly
[SOLVED] Centroid problem with y vector

View attachment 720

So, I've been having a problem with this part here, the equations are y=4x^2 and y=2x3.

So, the intersections are (0,0) and (2, 16)
The area between the two is 8/3.

I know I'm doing something correct because I get the x vector correct with ease, but no matter what I can't get the y vector anywhere near the answer.View attachment 720

Can someone please point out where I'm going wrong here??

(not the answer, just where I'm going wrong)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364076080.967113.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364076080.967113.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry , I cannot understand what the question really is ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
Sorry , I cannot understand what the question really is ?

The given equation is y vector= 1/area( int from 0-16 for y( x2-x1) dy

(sorry not good with latex)

The x2 and x1 are found with y=4x^2 and y=2x^3.

At which point am I going wrong?

Or did the image linked not appear?

Edit: the answer should by a y value between 0-16 to reflect the point of balance between the two curves.

Are you sure that you have constructed the integral correctly ?

Before we try to follow your work and check for an error, what method are you using? Are you using the method outlined here? I see the 1/A term but the y moment should be integrating f(x)^2-g(x)^2. Just checking we're talking about the same thing. :)

Welcome to MHB, Bmanmcfly! :)

Your calculation is fine!
But as ZaidAlyafey already suggested, the expression for your initial integral contains a small mistake.

Btw, what you refer to as "y vector" is actually the "mean of y".

Jameson said:
Before we try to follow your work and check for an error, what method are you using? Are you using the method outlined here? I see the 1/A term but the y moment should be integrating f(x)^2-g(x)^2. Just checking we're talking about the same thing. :)

If this is the case then the book just messed me up, because the equation I've been given in the book is the
X vector uses x(y2-y1) then divide by the area equation. Then the y vector is y(x2-x1)...

But the square method in that link might prove useful... I used the 1/a because I calculated that separately to use less page room from calculating all...

I think you got me going in a good direction here, I'll try and report.

I did notice that I chose the wrong x2 and x1 lines, I think.

I like Serena said:
Welcome to MHB, Bmanmcfly! :)

Your calculation is fine!
But as ZaidAlyafey already suggested, the expression for your initial integral contains a small mistake.

Btw, what you refer to as "y vector" is actually the "mean of y".

Oh, oops, I thought the bar over the y meant vector...

Bmanmcfly said:
If this is the case then the book just messed me up, because the equation I've been given in the book is the
X vector uses x(y2-y1) then divide by the area equation. Then the y vector is y(x2-x1)...

But the square method in that link might prove useful... I used the 1/a because I calculated that separately to use less page room from calculating all...

I think you got me going in a good direction here, I'll try and report.

I did notice that I chose the wrong x2 and x1 lines, I think.

Both methods work.
Either you calculate the inverse of f(x) and g(x) and integrate y(x2-x1) with respect to y as you did.
Or you use the integral of (1/2)(x2^2 - x1^2) and integrate with respect to x as Jameson suggests.

I like Serena said:
Both methods work.
Either you calculate the inverse of f(x) and g(x) and integrate y(x2-x1) with respect to y as you did.
Or you use the integral of (1/2)(x2^2 - x1^2) and integrate with respect to x as Jameson suggests.

I realized the mistakes I was making... First, x1 should have been closest to the axis.

There were other issues also in the 20 or so times I tried to solve the problem before posting, but I finally got the answer.

It may not feel like you all helped that much, but it definitely worked.

Thanks.

1. What is the centroid problem with y vector?

The centroid problem with y vector is a mathematical problem that involves finding the center point, or centroid, of a set of data points represented by a y vector. This can be useful in various fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering.

2. How is the centroid of a y vector calculated?

The centroid of a y vector is calculated by finding the mean of the y values. This is done by adding up all the y values and dividing the sum by the total number of values in the vector.

3. Why is the centroid important in data analysis?

The centroid is important in data analysis because it provides a single representative point for a set of data. This can help in summarizing and understanding the data, as well as making predictions and decisions based on the data.

4. Can the centroid problem with y vector be applied to higher dimensions?

Yes, the centroid problem with y vector can be extended to higher dimensions. In two-dimensional space, the centroid is a point. In three-dimensional space, it is a line. And in higher dimensions, it is a hyperplane.

5. Are there any limitations to using the centroid in data analysis?

While the centroid can be a useful measure in data analysis, it is important to note that it may not always accurately represent the entire dataset. This is especially true if the data has a skewed distribution or if there are outliers present.