Chadwick's discovery of the neutron - radiation

In summary, the discovery of the neutron was initially confusing as it was thought to be a type of gamma radiation. However, it was later found that the neutron is actually the radiation released when alpha particles hit Beryllium, causing Paraffin wax to release protons. This discovery helped solve the conservation of energy and momentum problems associated with gamma radiation. The conversation also includes a request to move the discussion to a more fitting forum.
hubewa
Oh hello. I'm quite uncertain about one of the reasons for the discovery of the neutron. Apparently, the neutron is supposed to be the radiation released by alpha particles hitting Beryllium. When the radiation hits Paraffin wax, the paraffin wax releases protons. At first, people thought that this radiation was a special kind of gamma radiation. This, however, broke the conservation of energy.

My question is - how does a neutron solve the conservation of energy and momentum problems that exist with gamma radiation?

PS High school Student here, just so you are aware of your audience but I'll try my best.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if it's possible to move this thread to the Atomic one? It may fit a little bit better there now I think of it.

Thanks

FAQ: Chadwick's discovery of the neutron - radiation

1. What is Chadwick's discovery of the neutron and radiation?

Chadwick's discovery of the neutron and radiation refers to the groundbreaking scientific discovery made by British physicist James Chadwick in 1932. Chadwick discovered that the atomic nucleus contained a neutral particle, which he named the neutron, and that this particle was responsible for the emission of radiation from radioactive elements.

2. How did Chadwick discover the neutron and radiation?

Chadwick conducted a series of experiments using alpha particles, which are positively charged particles emitted by radioactive elements. He observed that when these particles collided with atoms of various elements, they caused the emission of a type of radiation that was not affected by electric or magnetic fields. Through further experimentation, Chadwick was able to determine that this radiation was made up of neutral particles, which he named neutrons.

3. What was the significance of Chadwick's discovery?

Chadwick's discovery of the neutron and radiation revolutionized the field of nuclear physics. It provided scientists with a better understanding of the structure of the atom and the behavior of radioactive elements. It also led to the development of new technologies, such as nuclear power and nuclear weapons.

4. What is the relationship between the neutron and radiation?

The neutron is a subatomic particle found in the nucleus of an atom, and it does not carry an electric charge. Radiation, on the other hand, refers to the emission of energy in the form of waves or particles. In the case of Chadwick's discovery, the neutron is responsible for the emission of a type of radiation known as neutron radiation.

5. How did Chadwick's discovery impact the scientific community?

Chadwick's discovery of the neutron and radiation was a major milestone in the field of nuclear physics. It not only provided a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter, but it also opened up new avenues for research and technological advancements. Chadwick's discovery continues to be studied and built upon by scientists today.

Back