Is My Chain Rule for Limits Proof Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving a chain rule for limits and the continuity of the composition of continuous functions by using the second postulate which states that there exists a delta for which a certain condition is true for all x in the domain, and the first postulate which states that there exists a delta for which a certain condition is true for all x in the domain. The proof involves substituting x with g(x) and using transitivity to show that the limit of f(g(x)) as x approaches c is L. There is also a discussion about distinguishing between the different deltas and the meaning of M and L in the context of the proof.
Noxerus
I would like to prove a chain rule for limits (from which the continuity of the composition of continuous functions will clearly follow): if [tex]\lim_{x\to c} \, g(x)=M[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x\to M} \, f(x)=L[/tex], then [tex]\lim_{x\to c} \, f(g(x))=L[/tex].

Can someone please tell me if the following proof is correct? I am a complete newbie to writing proofs, so I might have made several basic mistakes.

The second postulate means that there exists a [tex]\delta _1[/tex] for which the following is true for all [tex]x[/tex] in the domain:

[tex]0<|x-M|<\delta _1\Rightarrow |f(x)-L|<\epsilon[/tex]

By substituting [tex]x[/tex] with [tex]g(x)[/tex] we get the following which is true for all [tex]g(x)[/tex] in the domain:

[tex]0<|g(x)-M|<\delta _1\Rightarrow |f(g(x))-L|<\epsilon[/tex]

The first postulate means that there exists a [tex]\delta[/tex] for which the following is true for all [tex]x[/tex] in the domain:

[tex]0<|x-c|<\delta \Rightarrow |g(x)-M|<\delta _1[/tex]

Thus, by transitivity:

[tex]0<|x-c|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(g(x))-L|<\epsilon[/tex]

QED

Physics news on Phys.org
Noxerus said:
I would like to prove a chain rule for limits (from which the continuity of the composition of continuous functions will clearly follow): if [tex]\lim_{x\to c} \, g(x)=M[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x\to M} \, f(x)=L[/tex], then [tex]\lim_{x\to c} \, f(g(x))=L[/tex].

Can someone please tell me if the following proof is correct? I am a complete newbie to writing proofs, so I might have made several basic mistakes.

The second postulate means that there exists a [tex]\delta _1[/tex] for which the following is true for all [tex]x[/tex] in the domain:

[tex]0<|x-M|<\delta _1\Rightarrow |f(x)-L|<\epsilon[/tex]

By substituting [tex]x[/tex] with [tex]g(x)[/tex] we get the following which is true for all [tex]g(x)[/tex] in the domain:

[tex]0<|g(x)-M|<\delta _1\Rightarrow |f(g(x))-L|<\epsilon[/tex]
You meant [tex]0< |f(g(x))-M|[/tex] of course.

The first postulate means that there exists a [tex]\delta[/tex] for which the following is true for all [tex]x[/tex] in the domain:

[tex]0<|x-c|<\delta \Rightarrow |g(x)-M|<\delta _1[/tex]

Thus, by transitivity:

[tex]0<|x-c|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(g(x))-L|<\epsilon[/tex]

QED
It would be better to distinguish between the various "&delta"s: write [tex]\delta_1, \delta_2[/tex], etc.
Also, it's not clear what "M" is. You started by writing |x-M| which should have been, from your statement of the theorem, c.

[tex]M[/tex] is defined as the limit of [tex]g(x)[/tex] when [tex]x \to c[/tex]. [tex]L[/tex] is defined as the limit of [tex]f(x)[/tex] when [tex]x \to M[/tex]. Both are written in the first paragraph of the first post. Intuitively, I'm trying to say that as [tex]x[/tex] goes to [tex]c[/tex], [tex]g(x)[/tex] goes to [tex]M[/tex]. But, because as [tex]x[/tex] goes to [tex]M[/tex] in [tex]f(x)[/tex], [tex]f(x)[/tex] goes to [tex]L[/tex], I say that as [tex]x[/tex] goes to [tex]c[/tex], [tex]f(g(x))[/tex] goes to [tex]L[/tex].
In other words:
[tex]\lim_{x\to c} \, f(g(x))=\lim_{x\to \lim_{x\to c} \, g(x)} \, f(x)[/tex]
Thus I believe that my original statements are correct as written.

As for the deltas, I didn't give a subscript to the second delta because it is the "final" delta, i.e. the distance around [tex]x[/tex] in which all [tex]x[/tex], when given as the parameter for [tex]f(g(x))[/tex], give outputs which are less distant than [tex]\epsilon[/tex] from [tex]L[/tex].
Just like in a proof of the sum rule you could finish with a line like [tex]\delta =\min \left\{\delta _1,\delta _2\right\}[/tex].

1. What is the chain rule for limits?

The chain rule for limits is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the derivative of composite functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivatives of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. This is useful in many areas of science and engineering, where functions can be complicated and difficult to differentiate without the chain rule.

3. How do you apply the chain rule for limits?

To apply the chain rule for limits, you first need to identify the inner and outer functions. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. Finally, substitute the original function into the resulting expression to find the limit.

4. Can you give an example of applying the chain rule for limits?

Sure! Let's say we have the function f(x) = (x^2 + 1)^3. The inner function is x^2 + 1 and the outer function is x^3. To find the limit as x approaches 1, we would first find the derivatives of the inner and outer functions: f'(x) = 3x^2 and g'(x) = 3x^2 + 6x. Then, we can substitute these derivatives into the chain rule formula: f'(g(x)) * g'(x) = (3x^2)^3 * (3x^2 + 6x). Finally, we plug in x=1 to get the limit as 27 * 9 = 243.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the chain rule for limits?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that can occur when using the chain rule for limits. One mistake is forgetting to take the derivative of the outer function, which is a crucial step in the chain rule formula. Another mistake is not substituting the original function back into the resulting expression after finding the derivatives. It's important to double check your work and make sure all steps have been followed correctly.