Chain rule for partial derivatives

In summary, the student is trying to verify the chain rule for some functions, but is having difficulty with some of them. For all the rest, the results match. However, the student is still not sure what they are doing wrong, and wants to check their method. The first method, which uses substitution, is almost right, but has one error. The book's answer is also correct, though the student has made a few errors in their calculations.
U.Renko

Homework Statement

So there is an exercise in which I should "verify" the chain rule for some functions.
In other words to do it by substitution, then doing by the formula and checking if the results are the same. (and checking with the book`s answer too)

For a few of them, they just don`t match.
for all the rest they match.

I'm really not sure what exactly I`m doing wrong .
So I want to check my method.

I'll just post one of them, if it really is necessary I'll post another one.

Homework Equations

chain rule: [itex] \frac{\mathrm{d} h}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}
[/itex]

1st function: [itex]f(x,y)= \ln (x^2 + y^2)
[/itex]
where: [itex]x = 2t + 1[/itex] and [itex]y = 4t^2 -5 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Substitution

[itex]h(t) = \ln ((2t + 1)^2 + (4t^2 - 5)^2 )
[/itex]

then: [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d} h}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{1}{((2t+1)^2 + (4t^2-5)^2)}\cdot [ (2)(2)(2t+1)+ (2)(8t)(4t^2 - 5)][/itex]

which is: [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d} h}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{(8t+4)+(64t^3-80t)}{((2t+1)^2 + (4t^2-5)^2)} [/itex]

which is [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d} h}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{64t^3 - 72t +4 }{16t^4 -36t^2 +2t + 26}[/itex]

so it is [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d} h}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{32t^3 -36t + 2}{8t^4 - 18t^2 + t +13 }[/itex]now by the chain rule formula

[itex]
\frac{\mathrm{d} h}{\mathrm{d} t} = (\frac{2x}{x^2 + y^2}\cdot 2t) + (\frac{2y}{ x^2+y^2}\cdot 8t)[/itex]

[itex] \frac{\mathrm{d} h}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{2(2t + 1)2t}{(2t+1)^2 + (4t^2-5)^2} + \frac{2(4t^2-5)8t}{ (2t+1)^2+(4t^2-5)^2} [/itex]

[itex]
\frac{\mathrm{d} h}{\mathrm{d} t} = \frac{8t^2 + 4t }{(2t+1)^2 + (4t^2-5)^2}+ \frac{64t^3 - 80t }{ (2t+1)^2+(4t^2-5)^2} = \frac{64t^3 +8t^2 - 76t}{16t^4-16t^2 +4t + 26 } [/itex]

[itex]
\frac{\mathrm{d} h}{\mathrm{d} t}= \frac{36t^3 +4t^2 -38}{8t^4 - 8t^2 +2t + 13}
[/itex]

Which not only it is different from the first method but it is also different form the answer in the book. which is

[itex] \frac{32t^3 - 36t + 2}{8t^4 - 18t^2 + 2t + 13 }
[/itex]

edit: looking now the first method is almost right except for that 2t...

Physics news on Phys.org
The book answer is right. There are a few errors in your workings, one of which is in the chain rule
[itex]
\frac{\mathrm{d} h}{\mathrm{d} t} = (\frac{2x}{x^2 + y^2}\cdot 2t) + (\frac{2y}{ x^2+y^2}\cdot 8t)[/itex]
should be
[itex]
\frac{\mathrm{d} h}{\mathrm{d} t} = (\frac{2x}{x^2 + y^2}\cdot 2) + (\frac{2y}{ x^2+y^2}\cdot 8t)[/itex]

Okay.

This time I did it more carefully and it was correct.
Did it for the other few ones that weren't matching and now they match too.

basically, I just need to do it more carefully.

Thanks for helping!

1. What is the chain rule for partial derivatives?

The chain rule for partial derivatives is a mathematical formula used to calculate the derivative of a composite function. It allows us to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding another variable constant.

2. How does the chain rule for partial derivatives work?

The chain rule for partial derivatives can be expressed as follows: if z = f(x,y) and x = g(t), y = h(t), then the partial derivative of z with respect to t is equal to the partial derivative of f with respect to x, multiplied by the partial derivative of x with respect to t, plus the partial derivative of f with respect to y, multiplied by the partial derivative of y with respect to t.

3. When is the chain rule for partial derivatives used?

The chain rule for partial derivatives is used when dealing with multivariable functions, where the output is dependent on more than one independent variable. It is also used when solving optimization problems and when finding the gradient of a function.

4. What are some common applications of the chain rule for partial derivatives?

The chain rule for partial derivatives is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to calculate rates of change in various real-world scenarios, such as finding the velocity of an object or the marginal cost of production.

5. Are there any limitations to the chain rule for partial derivatives?

Yes, there are some limitations to the chain rule for partial derivatives. It can only be applied to functions that are differentiable, and it may become more complicated to use when dealing with higher-order derivatives. Additionally, it may not always provide an accurate solution for certain nonlinear functions.