Understanding the Chain Rule in Derivatives: An Analysis of MIT Lecture Video

In summary, the lecturer was using substitution to solve an equation, but then stated that the second derivative is given by (1/a2) times the second derivative of "u". This makes no sense, as the second derivative of "x" is not "a" times the second derivative of "u".
imsmooth
While solving an equation, the lecturer was using substitution in this video:

x=au was subbed in for Psi at timestamp 39:27
d/dx = (1/a)(d/du). I get that.
But then the second derivative is stated as being
d2/dx2 = (1/a2)(d2/du2)

How is it (1/a2) if we do not know if there is an "a" in the function "u"?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean? If you are fine with (d/dx) = (1/a)(d/du), how can you doubt (d/dx)^2 = (1/a^2)(d/du)^2?

It is not the result squared. It is the second derivative.

imsmooth said:
It is not the result squared. It is the second derivative.
Yes, which is exactly what I wrote. Taking the second derivative is equivalent to applying the derivative operator twice. This is standard operator notation.

I guess I'm missing it or just thinking of it wrong:

x = au
dx = a du
dx2 = adu2 (since "a" is constant)

So, why is it a2?

imsmooth said:
I guess I'm missing it or just thinking of it wrong:

x = au
dx = a du
dx2 = adu2 (since "a" is constant)

So, why is it a2?
This makes no sense whatsoever, it is not clear what you mean by ##dx^2##. In standard notation, this would be either the differential of ##x^2## or the differential ##dx## squared. Neither behaves as you imply.

My notation is off. What I was trying to ask is why is the second derivative of "x" not "a" times the second derivative of "u"? If "a" is not a variable of "u", where is the "a^2" coming from?

The second derivative of ##x## or with respect to ##x##? Your original question was the derivative with respect to ##x##.

The following might help: You agree that the first derivative of a function wrt ##x## follows the rule
$$\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{1}{a} \frac{df}{da}$$
if ##x = au## and ##a## is a constant. Now, the second derivative is just applying the first derivative twice and so
$$
\frac{d^2f}{dx^2} = \frac{d}{dx}\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx} \frac{1}{a}\frac{df}{du} = \frac{1}{a} \frac{d}{dx}\frac{df}{du}.
$$
Now, see ##df/du## just as any function ##g##. Regardless of what the function ##g## is, we have agreed that the first derivative is given by ##dg/dx = (1/a) dg/du## and so
$$
\frac{1}{a} \frac{d}{dx}\frac{df}{du} = \frac{1}{a} \frac{dg}{dx} = \frac{1}{a^2}\frac{dg}{du} = \frac{1}{a^2} \frac{d}{du}\frac{df}{du} = \frac{1}{a^2} \frac{d^2f}{du^2}.
$$

Also consider the following example: Let ##f(x) = x^2##, then if ##x = au## we find that ##df/dx = 2x## and ##d^2f/dx^2 = 2##. We also find that ##d^2f/du^2 = d(x^2)/du^2 = d(a^2u^2)/du^2 = a^2d(u^2)/du^2 = 2a^2##. Clearly, the relation ##d^2f/dx^2 = (1/u^2) d^2f/du^2## is satisfied in this case.

imsmooth said:
x=au was subbed in for Psi at timestamp 39:27
d/dx = (1/a)(d/du). I get that.
But then the second derivative is stated as being
d2/dx2 = (1/a2)(d2/du2)

How is it (1/a2) if we do not know if there is an "a" in the function "u"?

The way I would look at it is simply:

##\frac{d}{du} = a \frac{d}{dx}##

And:

##\frac{d^2}{du^2} = \frac{d}{du} \frac{d}{du} = (a \frac{d}{dx})(a \frac{d}{dx}) = a^2 \frac{d^2}{dx^2} ##

In fact, you could replace the derivatives by any linear operators:

If ##U = aX## then ##U^2 = a^2 X^2##

For any linear operators ##U## and ##X##

Thanks for all the help. My issue I guess is that I was looking at it as the derivative of a constant function instead of it being a linear operator.

1. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivatives of each individual function multiplied together.

2. How is the chain rule used in calculus?

The chain rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function, where one function is nested within another function. It allows us to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and find the overall derivative.

3. Why is the chain rule important in mathematics and science?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the rate of change of complex functions, which is essential in many areas of mathematics and science. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus, which is used extensively in physics and engineering.

4. Can you give an example of how the chain rule is applied?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = (x^2 + 3x)^2. To find the derivative of this function, we would first use the power rule to get f'(x) = 2(x^2 + 3x)(2x + 3). Then, we would use the chain rule to find the derivative of the inside function, giving us the final answer of f'(x) = 4(x^2 + 3x)(2x + 3)(2x + 3).

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the chain rule?

Yes, one common mistake is forgetting to apply the chain rule when dealing with nested functions. It is important to always identify the inside and outside functions and use the chain rule accordingly. Another mistake is misapplying the power rule when dealing with powers of a function, as the chain rule must also be used in these cases. It is important to carefully apply the chain rule to avoid errors in finding derivatives.