1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain rule question: if f is a differentiable function

1. Feb 27, 2013 #1
    If f is a differntiable function, find the expression for derivatives of the following functions.

a) g(x)= x/ f(x)
    b) h(x) [f(x^3)]^2
    c) k(x)= sqrt (1 + [f(x)]^2)

First off, I am not even sure what they are asking. I am assuming that they want the derivative for each component of the equation? then to find the derivative for the entire function?

a) really not sure about this one

b) g(x) = x^2 f(x)= x^3
    g'(x)= 2x f'(x)= 3x^2
    h'(x)= 2(x^3)(3x^2)
    h'(x)= (2x^3)(3x^2)
    h'(x)= 6x^5

c) g(x)= sqrt (x) h(x)= 1 + x^2
    g'(x)= 1/2 x^-1/2 h'(x)= 2x
    f'(x)= 1
    k'(x)= 1/2 1 + (x^2)^-1/2(2x)
    then continue to find equation.

The fact that f(x) is in the equation is throwing me off. Can you explain why you are approaching the problem this way. I am doing my best but we were given this yesterday to solve, but without understanding the question, I am a little at a loss. Thank you so much!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2013 #2
    Well for the first one just think of it as any function. f(x) can be x^2, x^3, etc.

So use the quotient rule:
    [tex]f'(x)=\frac{g'(x)h(x)-g(x)h'(x)}{(h(x))^{2}}[/tex]

4. Feb 27, 2013 #3
    For the second one I would use the chain rule ie bring the square down and the 3x^2 out of the inside of the function to obtain (6x^2)(f(x^3)) I think :-)

5. Feb 27, 2013 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

For the second one, to take into account f is a function of x^3, you should use the chain rule again to differentiate with respect to x^3.

For the third one, you have to apply the chain rule multiple times.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted