Challenge/discuss/help? introductory quantum mechanics and perturbation theory

In summary, the conversation discussed the application of a uniform external electric field on the energy levels of an atom, known as the Stark effect. The problem focused on the n=1 and n=2 states of hydrogen and used perturbation theory to determine the first-order corrections to the energy. It was found that the ground state energy is not affected by the perturbation, while the first excited state splits into four levels. The "good" wave functions and the expectation value of the electric dipole moment for each of these states were also calculated. The results were found to be independent of the applied field, indicating that hydrogen in its first excited state can carry a permanent electric dipole moment. The use of Griffiths' notation and the importance of
audreyh
We discussed this problem in class to some extent, and I'd just like to post it here so that I can continue the discussion on the conceptual physics of it as well as the algebra. I believe a lot can be learned from this problem.

"When an atom is placed in a uniform external electric field Eext, the energy levels are shifted -- a phenomenon known as the Stark effect (it is the electrical analog to the Zeeman effect). In this problem we analyze the Stark effect for the n=1 and n=2 states of hydrogen. Let the field point in the z direction, so the potential energy of the electron is

H'S = eEextz = eEextrcosθ

Treat this as a perturbation on the Bohr Hamiltonian ( [-hbar2/2m]del2 - e2/4πεr ) (thats epsilon knot not just epsilon). Spin is irrelevant to this problem, so ignore it, and neglect the fine structure.

a) Show that the ground state energy is not affected by this perturbation, in first order.
b) The first excited state is 4-fold degenerate: ψ200, ψ211, ψ21-1, ψ210. Using degenerate perturbation theory, determine the first-order corrections to the energy. Into how many levels does E2 split?
c) What are the "good" wave functions for part (b)? Find the expectation value of the electric dipole moment (pe = -er) in each of these "good" states.

Notice that the results are independent of the applied field -- evidently hydrogen in its first excited state can carry a permanent electric dipole moment.
Hint: There are a lot of integrals in this problem, but almost all of them are zero. So study each one carefully, before you do any calculations: If the φ integral vanishes, there's not much point in doing the r and θ integrals!
Partial answer: W13 = W31= -3eaEext; all other elements are zero."

A personal note on griffiths' notation. a is, of course, the bohr radius.
Wij is < ψi0 | H' | ψj0 >

I'm a bit exhausted from writing the problem out, so hopefully this will start some discussion, and then I will come back and post what I have so far.
my own hint :)
realize that H' ~ rcosθ and cosθ = P1 the legendre polynomial for l = 1. so many of the integrals will be zero since the Ylm(θ,φ)'s are orthogonal functions (the spherical harmonics defined by Griffiths, I don't know if that is how it's universally defined)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It involves mathematical concepts such as wave functions, uncertainty principle, and superposition to explain the behavior of particles and their interactions.

2. How is quantum mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the branch of physics that describes the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Unlike classical mechanics, quantum mechanics takes into account the probabilistic nature of particles and their interactions.

3. What is perturbation theory in quantum mechanics?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to approximate the behavior of a system when it is subject to a small perturbation or disturbance. It allows us to make predictions about the system's behavior without solving the complex equations of quantum mechanics.

4. Can you give an example of perturbation theory in quantum mechanics?

One example of perturbation theory in quantum mechanics is the calculation of energy levels in an atom when it is exposed to a weak electric field. The electric field acts as a perturbation, causing a slight change in the energy levels of the electrons in the atom. Using perturbation theory, we can make predictions about these changes without solving the full Schrödinger equation.

5. How is quantum mechanics relevant to everyday life?

While quantum mechanics may seem abstract and complex, it has many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, it is the basis of technologies such as transistors and lasers, which are essential components of modern electronics. It also helps us understand the behavior of materials at the atomic level, leading to advancements in fields such as medicine and materials science.