Chance of getting into a Physics Ph.D program

In summary: There are also private schools in these states. I'm not sure what the admission requirements are for PhD programs at Ivies but they are generally much higher than state schools.
xdrgnh
I'm a U.S citizen who went to college in New York State who is looking into doing research in theoretical Cosmology

PGRE 830
GRE Quant: 167
GRE Verbal :156
Major GPA 3.7
Overall GPA 3.6
Honors Magna Cum Laude
Three semesters of research in Hamiltonian Chaos
No published papers
Took Three Graduate Physics classes and got a grade of B or better in them.

I'm applying to 12 schools. Some of them are Ivies while others are state schools.

I have three plus years of experience tutoring college physics.

Also I'm expecting 4 strong letters of recommendation and let's say hypothetically I have a really strong statement of purpose.

What do you guys think are my chances of getting into a PhD program?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume we say "bad", what would you do with this information?

micromass said:
Assume we say "bad", what would you do with this information?
I would take it with a grain of salt and still apply to all of those schools. Perhaps if you were more specific why bad I would talk to all of my professors and see if I can do anything to bolster my application.

Anyone else would like to weigh in?

Are you looking for this?
http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5572

The only other comment that I would have is that of the 12 schools you plan to apply to, how many have you made a serious effort to investigate? And by serious effort I mean things like: visiting the school, talking with potential supervisors, talking with current gradaute students, reading up on the research that's being done by the groups there (beyond skimming over professor's web pages). Once you start doing things like this, you'll probably find that you'll develop a better feeling of which schools you have a good chance at attending.

Off-hand I would say better than 50-50. You say you will apply to some Ivy some state schools. Berkeley, Illinois, Michigan and Maryland are state schools that are highly competitive. If you limit yourself to say the first 12 highest rated programs, your chances will be less than if you were to include some schools in the top 20 to 30 or even 40. I agree with choppy also that you should investigate the programs thoroughly, (You may have already done this).

The state schools are mostly in New York, Jersey and Pennsylvania. Some of them are SUNY's and CUNY's.

1. What is the minimum GPA required to be considered for a Physics Ph.D program?

The minimum GPA required for admission into a Physics Ph.D program varies depending on the university, but it is typically around a 3.0. However, having a higher GPA will make you a more competitive candidate.

2. Do I need to have a background in Physics to be accepted into a Physics Ph.D program?

While having a background in Physics can be beneficial, it is not always a requirement. Many programs accept students from a variety of undergraduate majors, as long as they have completed certain prerequisite courses in Physics and mathematics.

3. What kind of research experience do I need to have to be considered for a Physics Ph.D program?

Research experience is a crucial component of a Physics Ph.D application. It is recommended to have at least one or two research projects, either through coursework or independent research, in a relevant field of Physics. This shows your potential to contribute to the research being conducted in the program.

4. Is it necessary to have publications or presentations to get into a Physics Ph.D program?

Publications and presentations are not required for admission into a Physics Ph.D program, but they can greatly enhance your application. They demonstrate your ability to communicate your research findings and your potential for future contributions to the field.

5. How important are letters of recommendation in the application process for a Physics Ph.D program?

Letters of recommendation are an essential part of the application process for a Physics Ph.D program. They provide insight into your academic abilities, research potential, and personal qualities from the perspective of your professors or supervisors. It is important to choose recommenders who can speak highly of your qualifications and work ethic.