Chances of getting into a PhD program?

• Programs
  • Thread starter chemengmath
  • Start date
I am a double major (Chemical Engineering and Applied Math) and I will be graduating next December with a 3.6 GPA.
I have had an engineering internship with an aerospace company for the past 2 years.
I'm a member of Omega Chi Epsilon, a sorority, and various other professional organizations and honor societies. I'm also working my way through school right now.

Any ideas on my chances of getting accepted? Programs that I'm considering applying to are at the University of Southern California, UT Austin, UC Boulder, and Illinois Urbana Champaign, among others.

Answers and Replies

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You didn't say what subject you are applying for, but your record sounds good. It also depends to some extent on standardized test scores, and letters of recommendation, and possibly interviews.

I'm going to apply to a Chemical Engineering Program. I would like to do research with materials, preferably polymers, because all of my work experience thus far has been with polymers.
Thanks for your reply mathwonk!
My boyfriend is going to be applying to law schools and all of his freaking out about getting into a good law school is starting to rub off on me.

What do you think are "extra" things that admissions committees look for in PhD applicants, things above GPA and test scores?
I've been told that research experience is important, but is an emphasis also placed on work experience, or leadership roles, or being active in organizations?

stop worrying already. life is too short. You obviously worked hard, and most likely tried your best. Just keep doing your best and stop stressing

stop worrying already. life is too short. You obviously worked hard, and most likely tried your best. Just keep doing your best and stop stressing
Also try not to stress over things that you have no control over. Suppose I told you that you had a 10% change of getting into any Ph.D. program (and note I could be wrong), would that change your effort at applying? What if I told you that it was 90%? If not, then don't worry about that question.

Also, one way I deal with stress is to think about some abstract question that gets my mind off the thing that is stressing me. So let me ask you one.

What do you mean by "chances of getting in"? Suppose I told you that you had a 10% chance of getting in? What does that *mean*. (Note here that this is a deep question that has occupied philosophers and mathematicians for the last hundred years).

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
you might make a phone call to someone at one of your favorite places. they will help you understand the situation.

Your efforts will surely provide good results. Don't try to take stress out of bad thinking. Keep going and make real achievements.