Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in Entropy for Irreversible Processes

1. Apr 5, 2014 #1
    I was following along in my Thermodynamic textbook and began playing with some definitions. In the following formulation, I somehow managed to prove (obviously incorrectly) that [itex]dq = TdS[/itex] for even irreversible processes. I was hoping someone could point out where in the proof I'm going wrong.

First, consider a both reversible and adiabatic process.

Since [itex]dw = -p_{ext}dV[/itex] for all processes and [itex]dq = 0[/itex] for adiabatic processes: [itex]dU = -p_{ext}dV[/itex]

We also know for a reversible and adiabatic process, U is a function of V only and not S, so: [itex]dU = \frac{∂U}{∂V}dV[/itex]

Setting the coefficients equal: [itex]\frac{∂U}{∂V}=-p_{ext}[/itex]

This equation involves only state variables and is therefore valid for all process, reversible or irreversible.

Next consider a general process (either reversible or irreversible).

As before [itex]dw = -p_{ext}dV[/itex] but now U is a function of S and V, so: [itex]dq = dU - dw = (\frac{∂U}{∂S}dS + \frac{∂U}{∂V}dV) - (-p_{ext}dV)[/itex]

Simplifying: [itex]dq = \frac{∂U}{∂S}dS + \frac{∂U}{∂V}dV + p_{ext}dV[/itex]

Finally, since we know [itex]\frac{∂U}{∂V}=-p_{ext}[/itex], the last two terms cancel, leaving: [itex]dq = \frac{∂U}{∂S}dS = TdS[/itex] for any processes, reversible or irreversible.

But clearly, this is not true since [itex]dq >TdS[/itex] for irreversible processes.

At which point, then, should I have needed to invoke irreversibility?

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook