Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in Voltage across a Capacitor?

1. Jul 12, 2009 #1
    When you increase the charge Q on a capacitor, why don't you increase voltage V across it as well? Wouldn't higher Q increase E, and since V = Ed for a uniform E, V increases also? I know that for a uniform E across a capacitor, E stays the same regardless of distance d between the two plates, but doesn't the amount of charge on the capacitor still affect E (and would therefore affect V)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2009 #2
    I would agree with you, that an increase in Q should increase V. The capacitance of a capacitor is given by

[tex]
    C = \frac{Q}{V}
    [/tex]

where C depends on the physical properties of the capacitor. Stuff like the plate geometry and the medium between the plates. If C is constant, then V should scale linearly with Q.

4. Jul 13, 2009 #3
    true Q=CV

5. Jul 13, 2009 #4
    Also, just to clarify:

The difference b/w a charged capacitor disconnected from a battery and one that is still connected to a battery is that the latter maintains a constant V across the capacitor regardless of distance d between the plates, and the former maintains a constant Q on the plates (assuming there's no discharge)?

V = Ed

C = eA/d

Q = CV

Thanks

6. Jul 13, 2009 #5
    That is correct. If you are adjusting the capacitance by any method, then the voltage will remain constant if there is an applied potential from a battery. If the capacitor is disconnected from any external device, the charge cannot flow, and thus Q will remain constant.

7. Jul 13, 2009 #6
    And in addition to this if C is adjusted with the battery connected it takes time for V to come back to its original value this time depending on the time constant(RC) of the circuit.I think this is the principle behind the capacitor microphone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook