How to treat the "ideal" plate capacitor more rigorously?

In summary, the capacity of an ideal parallel-plate capacitor is derived inconsistently due to the assumption of infinite plate size for calculating electric field and finite area for calculating charge. This leads to discrepancies in the treatment of boundary effects, which can be problematic when it comes to voltage and work calculations. While numerical techniques can be used to address these issues in realistic geometries, the justification for the widely used formula for capacitance (C=εA/d) in the early days of electromagnetism is not clear. Guard rings can help reduce fringe fields in standard capacitors, but do not fully address the issue of treating a capacitor with finite area rigorously.
greypilgrim
Hi.

The derivation of the capacity of an ideal parallel-plate capacitor is inconsistent: On the one hand, the plates are assumed to be infinitely large to exploit symmetries to compute an expression for the electric field, on the other the area is finite to get a finite expression for the charge. Usually this is justified by the fact that the boundary only increases with the square root of the area and hence boundary effects can be neglected.

However, this can be tricky: An ideal, finite capacitor doesn't even agree with Maxwell's equation since the line integral of the electric field from one plate to the other is path-dependent (##E\cdot d## for paths between the plates, zero for paths outside). When it comes to voltage or work, boundary effects clearly cannot be neglected.

How can this subject be treated more rigorously than just what seems to me to pick and choose when to neglect boundary effects and when not to?

Physics news on Phys.org
The fields outside are not zero for a finite capacitor, and the work is path independent. We say that there is a fringing effect at the boundary. Numerical techniques are used for realistic geometries for electrostatics and magnetostatics.
For example this person has used the finite difference method to produce the fields of a finite capacitor.
http://www.drjamesnagel.com/EM_Beauty.htm
Capacitor.jpg

Attachments

• Capacitor.jpg
    Capacitor.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 982
I know all this (except for the exact term fringing effect, due to English not being my first language). Nevertheless, the derivation of the widely used formula ##C=\varepsilon\frac{A}{d}## is inconsistent due to the reasons I stated and I'd like to get a better understanding why it's still acceptable for most applications.

greypilgrim said:
I'd like to get a better understanding why it's still acceptable for most applications.
Because generally the errors produced by neglecting the fringing effect are less than the errors in manufacturing the specified A and d.

Can you make a quantitative estimation about the errors produced by the fringing effect?

Sure. The usual way is to do a FEM analysis like the one mentioned by @MisterX above, then make small changes to the parameters

And how did people justify this derivation back in the early days of electromagnetism when those techniques weren't available?

That I don’t know. I am not aware of any analytical techniques for it. Perhaps they approximated it as a dipole as a worst case?

A similar example is using Ampere's law to find an expression of the magnetic field inside a long solenoid.

For a 2D capacitor (long parallel strips) you can compute the fringe fields analytically using conformal mapping. For spacing small compared to width, the fringing fields are negligible.

Last edited:
Likes Dale and MisterX
Guard rings ?
I've vague memories of a Uni PhysLab session where there were co-planar guard rings just outside the circular 'standard' electrodes...
I've equally vague memories of later seeing circuit for an 'active' guard-ring set-up using op-amps...
Ideas ??

Guard rings eliminate (or greatly reduce) the fringe fields, so are useful for standard capacitors as used by the old National Bureau of Standards. This skirts, rather than addresses, the OP question of mathematically treating a capacitor of finite area.

1. What is an "ideal" plate capacitor?

An "ideal" plate capacitor is a theoretical concept in which the capacitor has perfectly conducting plates, zero plate separation, and no leakage or resistance. It is used as a simplified model for studying the behavior of real-life capacitors.

2. How can I calculate the capacitance of an "ideal" plate capacitor?

The capacitance of an "ideal" plate capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the material between the plates, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. What are the limitations of using an "ideal" plate capacitor in practical applications?

Real-life capacitors have imperfections such as non-ideal dielectric materials, non-zero plate separation, and leakage, which can affect their behavior. Therefore, using an "ideal" plate capacitor as a model may not accurately represent the behavior of a real-life capacitor.

4. How does the voltage and charge distribution differ between an "ideal" plate capacitor and a real-life capacitor?

In an "ideal" plate capacitor, the voltage is constant throughout the capacitor and the charge is evenly distributed on the plates. In a real-life capacitor, the voltage may vary due to imperfections and the charge distribution may not be uniform due to factors such as irregularities in the plates or dielectric material.

5. Can the behavior of an "ideal" plate capacitor be observed in real-life?

No, an "ideal" plate capacitor is a theoretical concept and cannot exist in real-life. However, it can be used as a simplified model for studying the behavior of real-life capacitors in certain situations.