1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of basis

1. Jul 22, 2005 #1
    Say, i have a vector a, defined in a coordinate system, x-y-z and i rotate the axes by an angle theta around the z-axis, so i have my z-component invariant in this change of basis. Can someone show me why,

[tex] a_x' = a_x cos\theta + a_y sin\theta [/tex] and

[tex] a_x' = -a_x sin\theta + a_y cos\theta [/tex]

i can't seem to find any place where they show how this is done.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2005 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw a vector and two sets of orthogonal axes.
    For each set of axes, form a right triangles with the vector as the hypotenuse, and the legs parallel to the axes.
    Do a little trigononometry.
    I'll post a URL with a picture, if I can find one.

Ok here's one:
    http://web.umr.edu/~oci/Topic12/T12-5/cml12-5a/frame.html [Broken]
    (although the vector is not drawn from the origin to the little box).

(Check the subscript on the LHS of your second equation.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  4. Jul 22, 2005 #3

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

The new x-axis is a line tilted at some angle, [itex]\theta[/tex], to the horizontal. Basically, if you want [itex]a'_y[/tex], you want the distance between a point and this line. The formula for this is
    [tex]|a'_y|= \frac {|ma_x+b-a_y|} {\sqrt{m^2+1}}[/tex]
    where the equation of the line is [itex]y=mx+b[/tex]. Since the line passes through the origin, b=0. [itex]tan(\theta)=m[/tex], so:
    [tex]|a'_y|= \frac {|tan(\theta)a_x-a_y|} {\sqrt{tan(\theta)^2+1}}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac {|tan(\theta)a_x-a_y|} {|sec(\theta)|}[/tex]

[tex]= |tan(\theta)a_x-a_y|\times|cos(\theta)|[/tex]

[tex]=|sin(\theta)a_x-cos(\theta)a_y|[/tex]

Since, for [itex]\theta=0[/tex], we should have [itex]a'_y=a_y[/tex], this means the signs will only work out properly if:
    [tex]a'_y=-sin(\theta)a_x+cos(\theta)a_y[/tex]
    The other equation is found similarly. Let me know if you want to see the derivation of this distance formula.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  5. Jul 22, 2005 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a vector-algebraic proof.

For the first set of axes, we have unit vectors [tex]\hat x[/tex] and [tex]\hat y[/tex].
    For the second set, which is rotated counterclockwise by angle [tex]\theta[/tex], we have [tex]\hat x'[/tex] and [tex]\hat y'[/tex].

Note that [tex]A_x= \vec A\cdot \hat x[/tex] and so on.

Now, compute [tex]A_{x'}= \vec A\cdot \hat x'[/tex] where one writes
    [tex] \vec A=(\vec A \cdot \hat x) \hat x + (\vec A \cdot \hat y) \hat y=A_x\hat x + A_y\hat y[/tex].
    So, let's plug it in:
    [tex]\begin{align*}
    A_{x'}
    &= \vec A\cdot \hat x' \\
    &= \left( A_x\hat x + A_y\hat y \right) \cdot \hat x' \\
    &=(A_x) \hat x\cdot \hat x' + (A_y) \hat y\cdot \hat x' \\
    &=(A_x) \cos\theta + (A_y) \cos(90^\circ - \theta) \\
    &=(A_x) \cos\theta + (A_y) \sin\theta \\
    \end{align}
    [/tex]
    Do the same for [tex]A_{y'}[/tex], and note that [tex] \hat x\cdot \hat y' =\cos(90^\circ+\theta)= -\sin\theta [/tex] and [tex] \hat y\cdot \hat y' =\cos\theta[/tex].

6. Jul 22, 2005 #5
    The original vector had an x-component and a y-component. I find it easiest to just follow those two components separately.

When the original vector gets rotated the original x-component, let’s call that X, will not be only in the direction of the x-axis anymore, the component of the rotated “original x-component“ that will still be in the direction of the x-axis is:
    [tex]X\cos(\theta)[/tex]
    but it will now also have a component in the direction of the y-axis, which will be:
    [tex]-X\sin(\theta)[/tex]

The same happens with the original y component. The component of the rotated “original y component“ that will still be in the direction of the y-axis is:
    [tex]Y\cos(\theta)[/tex]
    and the component in the direction of the x-axis will be:
    [tex]Y\sin(\theta)[/tex]

To get the x-component of the new vector add the parts in the direction of the x-axis:
    [tex]X\cos(\theta) + Y\sin(\theta)[/tex]
    To get the y-component of the new vector add the parts in the direction of the y-axis:
    [tex]-X\sin(\theta) + Y\cos(\theta)[/tex]

7. Jul 22, 2005 #6
    hey thanks alot for the help. Yup the subscript on the LHS should be y. Here's what i have done, a little algebra,

[tex] a_x' cos \theta = a_x[/tex]

[tex] a_x' sin \theta= a_y [/tex]

what i did was to multiply sin and cosine to both equations respectively and add them up, to get the expression for [tex] a_x'[/tex]

for [tex] a_y' [/tex] i did the same thing, except that this time, comlementary angles were involved and the vector a_x points in the opposite direction.

Is that right?

edit: i'll look at the rest of the methods too. : )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook