Change of Variable in multiple Integrals

In summary: Yes.You can also solve the set of equations:x = 3u − 2vy = u + vfor u and v, and then plug in the set of (x,y) pairs to get the set of (u,v) pairs. In summary, to find the vertices of the triangle in the uv-plane whose image under the transformation T is the triangle D, you need to solve the equations x = 3u − 2v and y = u + v for u and v, and then plug in the set of (x,y) pairs to get the set of (u,v) pairs.
ahhppull

Homework Statement

Let D be the triangular region in the xy-plane with the vertices (1, 2), (3, 6), and (7, 4).
Consider the transformation T : x = 3u − 2v, y = u + v.

(a) Find the vertices of the triangle in the uv-plane whose image under the transformation T is the triangle D.

(b) Find the Jacobian of the transformation T.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I got the answers, just checking to make sure.

For a, I got the vertices; (-1,3),(-3,9) and (13,11).

For b, I got 5.

Physics news on Phys.org
ahhppull said:

Homework Statement

Let D be the triangular region in the xy-plane with the vertices (1, 2), (3, 6), and (7, 4).
Consider the transformation T : x = 3u − 2v, y = u + v.

(a) Find the vertices of the triangle in the uv-plane whose image under the transformation T is the triangle D.

(b) Find the Jacobian of the transformation T.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I got the answers, just checking to make sure.

For a, I got the vertices; (-1,3),(-3,9) and (13,11).

For b, I got 5.
You have (a) wrong.
If (x,y) = (1, 2), what are u & v ?

etc.

You found that if (u,v) = (1, 2) , then (x,y) = (-1,3) , etc. But this is not what's being asked.​

SammyS said:
You have (a) wrong.
If (x,y) = (1, 2), what are u & v ?

etc.

You found that if (u,v) = (1, 2) , then (x,y) = (-1,3) , etc. But this is not what's being asked.​

I don't understand. How would I do this then?

ahhppull said:
I don't understand. How would I do this then?
At the point (x,y) = (1,2), if x = 3u − 2v and y = u + v what are u and v?

haruspex said:
At the point (x,y) = (1,2), if x = 3u − 2v and y = u + v what are u and v?

So I set 1 = 3u -2v and 2 = u+v. Then, I do 2-v=u and substitute u into the first equation?

I get (1,1)

ahhppull said:
So I set 1 = 3u -2v and 2 = u+v. Then, I do 2-v=u and substitute u into the first equation?

I get (1,1)
Yes.

You can also solve the set of equations:
x = 3u − 2v

y = u + v​
for u and v, and then plug in the set of (x,y) pairs to get the set of (u,v) pairs.

1. What is a change of variable in multiple integrals?

A change of variable in multiple integrals is a method of transforming the variables in an integral to make it easier to solve. This is especially useful for integrals with complicated limits or functions.

2. Why is a change of variable important in multiple integrals?

A change of variable can simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. It can also help in visualizing the region of integration and can lead to more efficient calculations.

3. How do you determine the new limits of integration after a change of variable?

The new limits of integration can be determined by substituting the original limits into the new variable and solving for the corresponding values. It is important to also consider the direction of the change in the variable (e.g. from x to u or from u to x) when determining the new limits.

4. Can any function be used for a change of variable in multiple integrals?

No, the function used for the change of variable must be continuous and have a continuous inverse. Additionally, it should also preserve the shape and orientation of the region of integration.

5. Are there any common techniques for finding a suitable change of variable?

Some common techniques for finding a suitable change of variable include using symmetry, trigonometric substitutions, and polar or cylindrical coordinates. It is also important to consider the form of the integrand and choose a variable that will simplify the integral.