1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of variables jacobian limits

1. Aug 17, 2015 #1
    ## \int_{0}^{∞}\int_{0}^{∞} \frac{x^2+y^2}{1+(x^2-y^2)^2} e^{-2xy} dxdy ##

##u= x^2-y^2##
    ##v=2xy##

I tried to find the jacobian and the area elements,

I found it to be ## dA = \frac{1}{v} du dv ##

I'm having problem finding the limits of u & v and getting rid of ##x^{2}+y^{2}##.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2015 #2
    ------------- by mistake

4. Aug 17, 2015 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I could be wrong about this, but I think you should try a polar transformation. All the ##x^2## and ##y^2## terms seem to hint at this.

$$\iint_D \frac{x^2 + y^2}{1 + (x^2 - y^2)^2} e^{-2xy} dA = \iint_{D'} \frac{r^2}{1 + (r^2 \text{cos}(2 \theta))^2} e^{-r^2 sin(2 \theta)} r dr d\theta$$

Where ##D'## is the part of ##D## inside the circle ##x^2 + y^2 \leq c^2##. So ##0 \leq r \leq c## and ##0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2}## define the limits of ##D'##.

Then you want to consider when ##c \to \infty##, so ##D'## becomes infinitely large.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  5. Aug 18, 2015 #4
    Hmmm, seems good. But the question require using Jacobian determinant.

6. Aug 18, 2015 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

When changing to polar co-ordinates:

$$dA = \left| J \right| dA' = \left| J \right| dr d\theta = r \space dr d\theta$$

The Jacobian is just ##r##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted