1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of Variables(nonlinear function to a linear one)

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm given a nonlinear model which I am trying to perform a linear regression on. I need to use change of variables in order to convert the nonlinear model into a linear one.

2. Relevant equations
    I am given [tex]f(x) = \frac{ax}{b+x}[/tex] where a and b are just parameters.
    I need to use change of varibles to change this function into a form of [tex]F(x) = AX + B[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried to take the reciprocal of both sides to get
    [tex]\frac{1}{y} = \frac{b+x}{ax} = \frac{b}{ax} + \frac{1}{a}[/tex] , only problem with that is that the x is in the denominator. I have also tried using log transformation to both sides without success. Any help is appreciated thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2
    see below

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  4. May 17, 2009 #3
    I would rewrite it as b*f(x) - ax = x*f(x)

or in matrix form

[tex] \left(\begin{array}{cc}x_{1}&f(x_{1})\\x_{2}&f(x{2})\\.&.\\.&.\\.&.\\x_{n}&f(x_{n})\end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{cc}-a\\b\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}x{1}*f(x_{1})\\x{2}*f(x{2})\\.\\.\\.\\x_{n}*f(x_{n})\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook