Change of variables, transformations, reversibility

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of change of variables and its reversibility near a given point (u0, v0). It is stated that the Jacobian of the transformation must be nonzero at (u0, v0) for the change of variables to be reversible. The conversation then moves on to a specific example of a change of variables, x = x(u,v) = uv and y = y(u,v) = u2-v2. It is asked how many points in the u-v plane map to a single point in the x-y plane under this transformation. The responder then attempts to graph the equations and find the coordinates of their intersection, but encounters difficulty. They also mention having trouble with other problems involving third-degree
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

Theorem. The change of variables is reversible near (u0,v0) (with continuous partial derivatives for the reverse functions) if and only if the Jacobian of the transformation is nonzero at (u0,v0).

1. Consider the change of variables x=x(u,v)=uv and y=y(u,v)=u2-v2.

(a). Find the coordinates (u,v) that go to a common value (x0,y0) under than change of variables. (That is, find the points of intersection of the level curves x0=x(u,v) and y0=y(u,v) in the u-v plane.) Generally, this transformation transforms how many points in the u-v plane to an image point in the x-y plane?

Homework Equations

The theorem, I suppose.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I want to see what happens when I fix x and y. Let's say (x,y)=(x0,y0).

x0=uv
y0=u2-v2.

Graphing this in the u-v plane would look like a hyperbola, v=x0/u, that intersects a square root thingy, v= +/- √(u2-y0). The two curves should intersect at 2 points, meaning that we don't have a 1-1 transformation. But I can't find the coordinates (u,v) of this intersection. I can simplify it to x02=u2(u2-y0), but can't solve for u from there.

I have this problem on every other problem on this assignment. For example, the next problem has x=uv, y=u3+y3. How do I solve for u,v? Seems like I would need to know the formula for solving a 3rd degree polynomial. Or is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance. Expound as much as possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump (c'mon, guys)

1. What is a change of variables?

A change of variables is a mathematical concept that involves replacing one set of variables with another set in a mathematical expression or equation. It is often used to simplify or solve a problem.

2. How do you perform a change of variables?

To perform a change of variables, you first need to identify the original variables and the desired variables. Then, you can use substitution or transformation techniques to replace the original variables with the desired ones in the equation or expression.

3. What is the purpose of using transformations?

Transformations are used to change the scale or orientation of a mathematical object without altering its basic structure. They can be useful in solving problems or making calculations more manageable.

4. Can a change of variables be reversed?

Yes, a change of variables can be reversed. This is known as a reverse transformation. It involves replacing the new variables with the original ones in the equation or expression.

5. How is reversibility important in mathematics?

Reversibility is important in mathematics because it allows us to verify the correctness of a solution and check for errors. It also helps us to understand the relationship between different variables and their transformations.