Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing equilibrium point in damped simple harmonic motion

1. May 2, 2014 #1
    Hi

I have a damped simple harmonic motion model and I am altering the input force along with spring constant and damping constant. I can change the damping and spring constant to allow it to oscillate for few seconds before it stops at 0. What parameters do I need to change to alter the equilbrium position from 0 to lets say 10 or 20?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2014 #2
    Increase the mass or decrease the spring constant. Of course that will change the frequency also.

4. May 2, 2014 #3

Philip Wood

Gold Member

You could move the mass-spring system (assumed vertical) on to a higher bench. Then the equilibrium point will also be higher. This is a slightly joky answer, but not maliciously so…

Maybe you were looking for something more elaborate, Attach two identical springs to the mass, one running upwards to a support, A, and the other downwards to a support, B. Then the equilibrium position of the mass can be adjusted by moving B (or A) up and down. The effective spring constant will remain constant at twice that of each individual spring, provided the amplitude of oscillations isn't too big. This is what I first thought of, but then I thought: What's the point of all this? Might as well just lift up the whole apparatus...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook