Changing order of integration (double) in polar coord

In summary, the conversation discusses changing the order of limits in a double integral and using a substitution to evaluate the integral. The correct limits for the new integral are provided, but the final answer does not match the expected value.
nothingness00

Homework Statement

Change the order of the limits of integration of the following double integral and evaluate.

Homework Equations

[itex] \int_{0}^\frac{\pi}{2} \int_{0}^{cos(\theta)} cos(\theta)\,dr\,d\theta [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Evaluating as it is, I arrive an answer of [itex] \frac{\pi}{4} [/itex].

I know the region to be integrated is the semicircle bounded by the polar axis, with corner points at r = 0, and r = 1, with a height of 1/2. I know that normally, in the cartesian case, to change the order of integration requires the limits to be written from y(x) to x(y), with the x or y intervals adjust accordingly.

Thus, for this problem, the original region is bounded by:

[itex] 0<r<cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex] 0<\theta<\frac{\pi}{2} [/itex].

Changing the form, I would write,

[itex] 0<\theta<cos^{-1}(r) [/itex] and [itex] 0<r<1[/itex]

Trying to evaluate in this manner, I end up at

[itex] \int_{0}^1 sin(cos^{-1}(r))\,dr [/itex],

after which I cannot go further. I have very little experience of changing limit orders in the polar case. Any hints would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: note that sin x = sqrt ( 1 - cos^2 x ).

Cool, thanks; Using the hint: I get

## \int_{0}^1 \sqrt{1-cos(r)}\,dr ##

Multiplying by a factor of sin(r)/sin(r), I get,

## \int_{0}^1 \frac{sin(r)}{\sqrt{1+cos(r)}}\,dr ##.

I use a substitution of

## u = 1 + cos(r) ## with
## \,du = -sin(r)\,dr ##.

I substitute the limits by using

## u_0 = 1+cos(0) = 2 ##
## u_1 = 1+cos(1) = ~1.5403... ##

Evaluating the new integral, through

## -[2u^{\frac{1}{2}}] ##

between u1=1.5403... and u0 = 2, I get an answer of ~0.173144 which is not quite ##\frac{\pi}{4} ##

Are my limits wrong, or did I blunder somewhere else?

Unfortunately the first line is still incorrect.

CompuChip said:
Hint: note that sin x = sqrt ( 1 - cos^2 x ).

What would x be, looking at your integrand (it's not just r, as you seem to have assumed!).

What is meant by "changing order of integration" in polar coordinates?

Changing the order of integration in polar coordinates refers to rearranging the order in which the integrals are evaluated when solving a double integral. This allows for a more efficient way of calculating the integral and can also provide insight into the geometric interpretation of the integral.

Why is it sometimes necessary to change the order of integration in polar coordinates?

Changing the order of integration in polar coordinates can be necessary when the limits of integration in one variable depend on the other variable. In these cases, it is more efficient to change the order of integration to simplify the integral and make it easier to evaluate.

What is the process for changing the order of integration in polar coordinates?

The process for changing the order of integration in polar coordinates involves converting the double integral from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates, swapping the order of integration, and then converting back to rectangular coordinates if necessary. This involves using the appropriate Jacobian transformations and adjusting the limits of integration.

What are some common mistakes when changing the order of integration in polar coordinates?

Some common mistakes when changing the order of integration in polar coordinates include forgetting to adjust the limits of integration, using incorrect Jacobian transformations, and not accounting for the correct order of integration in the new integral. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check for errors when performing this process.

In what situations is it most useful to change the order of integration in polar coordinates?

Changing the order of integration in polar coordinates is most useful when the function being integrated has a simpler form in polar coordinates, or when the limits of integration are easier to express in polar coordinates. It can also be useful for visualizing and understanding the geometric interpretation of the integral.