Changing The Shape of a potential well

In summary, the question is about the immediate result on the wave function when changing the potential well from the infinite square well to the harmonic oscillator. The energy eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator that will be excited are all of the odd states, and the change must be made quickly for it to be considered abrupt. However, if the change is made slowly, the energy may change but no other excited states will appear. The process of decomposing the first excited state of the infinite square well in terms of harmonic oscillator eigenstates can help determine which states will be excited.
dsr39
This question was posed to me a while ago, but I never fully understood how to solve it.

You have a particle in the first excited state of the infinite square well (with the origin taken to be at the center. You "abruptly" change the shape of the potential well to be that of the harmonic oscillator and characterize the immediate result on the wave function

Which energy eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator are excited, and how quickly (roughly) must this change be made for it to be considered abrupt?

I think I see that ALL of the odd states of the harmonic oscillator should be excited since you were in an odd state of the infinite well, and I think classifying abrupt has something to do with the energy time uncertainty principle, but I am not sure what value to use for delta-E

Any help is much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in order to figure out which states of the harmonic oscillator are excited, you'd need to decompose the first excited state of the infinite square well in terms of harmonic oscillator eigenstates. So if [tex]|\psi_m\rangle[/tex] is a square well eigenstate and [tex]|\varphi_n\rangle[/tex] is a SHO eigenstate, any state for which [tex]\langle\psi_1|\varphi_n\rangle \neq 0[/tex] will be excited. Offhand I suspect that that's going to be true for all odd n (i.e. that your thought was correct).

Now, as for how quickly the change needs to be made: here's something interesting on Wikipedia, although I can't personally vouch for its correctness.

If the potential replacement is made instantly, your initial state [tex]|\psi_m\rangle[/tex] does not change. You just have to represent it in a different basis (oscillator wave functions). I think the previous post explanation and Wikipedia reference are good for your purposes.

If you change slowly, you have the adiabatic invariant En/frequency, so the energy may change but no other excited stated will appear (they all will be of a very small amplitude).

Bob.

1. How does changing the shape of a potential well affect the energy levels of particles?

Changing the shape of a potential well can alter the energy levels of particles by changing the depth and width of the well. This can result in a different distribution of energy levels and potentially impact the behavior of particles within the well.

2. Can changing the shape of a potential well change the stability of a system?

Yes, changing the shape of a potential well can affect the stability of a system. A deeper and narrower well can create a more stable system, while a shallower and wider well can result in a less stable system.

3. How does changing the shape of a potential well impact the probability of finding a particle at a certain energy level?

The shape of a potential well can affect the probability of finding a particle at a certain energy level by altering the energy levels available to the particle. A wider and shallower well can result in a wider range of energy levels, increasing the probability of finding the particle at a specific energy level.

4. Can changing the shape of a potential well lead to the confinement of particles?

Yes, changing the shape of a potential well can lead to the confinement of particles. This can occur when the potential well is made deeper and narrower, creating a barrier that limits the movement of particles within the well.

5. How does the shape of a potential well affect the tunneling probability of particles?

The shape of a potential well can impact the tunneling probability of particles by changing the height and width of the barrier that particles must overcome. A narrower and taller barrier can result in a lower tunneling probability, while a wider and shorter barrier can increase the probability of tunneling.