1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing undergraduate lab groups?

1. Sep 16, 2014 #1
    I'm currently working in a very reputable lab and am wondering if it would be wise to switch to a smaller lab if the opportunity were to arise.

The reason I am considering this is because in my current lab I do mostly programming and some 3d modelling.

Whereas perhaps in a smaller lab I can be given a more involved project to work on.

Pretty much, what would be more appealing to future graduate schools, a letter of recommendation from a well known person, or independent research experience?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2014 #2

Rocket50

Gold Member

Letters of recommendation are very important and there should be a major change in your research success by switching labs, so unless you really hate the research your current lab is doing, don't switch.

4. Sep 16, 2014 #3
    Thanks a lot. I actually really like the lab I'm in, I just didn't want to hurt my chances later on by not doing my own research topic.

5. Sep 16, 2014 #4

Rocket50

Gold Member

Well you are still technically doing research. It may even be better to do it with some guidance rather than by yourself.

6. Sep 16, 2014 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There's advantages and disadvantages to both options. The fact that you like what you're doing now is a major advantage though. I would hesitate to give that up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook