Characteristic function of binomial distribution.

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the characteristic function for a discrete random variable X and its limit as n approaches infinity. The result shows that the limit corresponds to a delta-function distribution centered at -p, indicating that the average of an infinite number of binomially distributed coins will converge to p with probability 1. Mathematical precision requires referring to a limit instead of stating it as a certainty.
mnb96
Hello,
I considered a Binomial distribution B(n,p), and a discrete random variable [tex]X=\frac{1}{n}B(n,p)[/tex]. I tried to compute the characteristic function of X and got the following:

[tex]\phi_X(\theta)=E[e^{i\frac{\theta}{n}X}]=(1-p+pe^{i\theta/n})^n[/tex]

I tried to compute the limit for [itex]n\to +\infty[/itex] and I got the following result:

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\phi_X(\theta)=e^{ip\theta}[/tex]

How should I interpret this result?
That characteristic function would correspond to a delta-function distribution centered at -p. It doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Except for the sign (it should be a delta function at p) it makes sense. By the law of large numbers the average of a sequence of random binomials will converge to p.

Ok thanks!
Now it's more clear.

If I got it right, that basically means that if I pick up an infinite amount of coins (head=1, tails=0, with probabilities p and (1-p)), throw them all at once, and finally sum up the result and divide by the number of coins, I should obtain p with probability 1.

mnb96 said:
Ok thanks!
Now it's more clear.

If I got it right, that basically means that if I pick up an infinite amount of coins (head=1, tails=0, with probabilities p and (1-p)), throw them all at once, and finally sum up the result and divide by the number of coins, I should obtain p with probability 1.
You've got the point, although mathematical precision means you talk about a limit.

Could you help me understand what this means?

The characteristic function of a distribution is a mathematical tool that describes the distribution in terms of its moments. In this case, the characteristic function of X, a transformed Binomial distribution, is approaching a delta-function distribution centered at -p as n approaches infinity. This means that as n increases, the distribution becomes more and more concentrated at -p, with almost all of the probability mass located at that point. This result is expected because as n increases, the transformed Binomial distribution becomes more and more similar to a Bernoulli distribution with probability of success p, which is a delta-function distribution at p. This also highlights the importance of understanding the limits and assumptions made when using mathematical tools, such as the characteristic function, in analyzing and interpreting data.

1. What is a characteristic function?

A characteristic function is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of a random variable. It is defined as the expected value of the complex exponential function of the random variable.

2. What is the binomial distribution?

The binomial distribution is a probability distribution that describes the number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials, where each trial has the same probability of success. It is used to model situations such as coin flips, where there are only two possible outcomes.

3. How is the characteristic function of a binomial distribution calculated?

The characteristic function of a binomial distribution is calculated by taking the expected value of the complex exponential function of the random variable, which is equal to (1-p+pe^it)^n, where p is the probability of success, t is the variable, and n is the number of trials.

4. What information can be obtained from the characteristic function of a binomial distribution?

The characteristic function of a binomial distribution can provide information about the shape, mean, variance, and higher moments of the distribution. It can also be used to calculate probabilities and to compare the binomial distribution to other distributions.

5. How is the characteristic function of a binomial distribution useful in practical applications?

The characteristic function of a binomial distribution is useful in practical applications because it allows for the calculation of probabilities and statistical measures without having to rely on complex mathematical formulas. It also provides a way to compare the binomial distribution to other distributions and can be used to model real-world situations with a binary outcome.