1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge a capacitor with minima dissipation

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1
    I need to design a circuit to charge a capacitor with minima loss of dissipation through resistance. Any idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2007 #2
    SMPS ( Switched Mode Power Suplies ) charges capacitors through inductors and they have an efficiency of 90-95%.
    Using resistances, you lost half the power in the resistance, as stated in another thread not may days ago.

4. Sep 3, 2007 #3
    Thank you. That is new to me and the circuit setup looks quite complicated, at least from what I saw on the net. Is there a simple circuit with inductor? Actually, all I need is a setup with minimum components that allows me to store more energy than dissipated. An efficiency of anything >50% will work. Thank you.

5. Sep 4, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The simplest circuits will be using the Simple Switcher series of DC-DC converters from National Semiconductor:

http://www.national.com/appinfo/power/switcher.html

Look up the application information and reference designs (and design calculators) for the "Buck" regulators -- those are the ones that take in one voltage, and regulate it down to a lower voltage using a switching transistor, an inductor, a flywheel diode, and feedback.

6. Sep 4, 2007 #5
    Thank you. Any more simpler idea to achieve just a >50% power efficiency.

7. Sep 4, 2007 #6
  8. Sep 5, 2007 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?