Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge a capacitor with minima dissipation

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1
    I need to design a circuit to charge a capacitor with minima loss of dissipation through resistance. Any idea?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2007 #2
    SMPS ( Switched Mode Power Suplies ) charges capacitors through inductors and they have an efficiency of 90-95%.
    Using resistances, you lost half the power in the resistance, as stated in another thread not may days ago.
  4. Sep 3, 2007 #3
    Thank you. That is new to me and the circuit setup looks quite complicated, at least from what I saw on the net. Is there a simple circuit with inductor? Actually, all I need is a setup with minimum components that allows me to store more energy than dissipated. An efficiency of anything >50% will work. Thank you.
  5. Sep 4, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

The simplest circuits will be using the Simple Switcher series of DC-DC converters from National Semiconductor:

Look up the application information and reference designs (and design calculators) for the "Buck" regulators -- those are the ones that take in one voltage, and regulate it down to a lower voltage using a switching transistor, an inductor, a flywheel diode, and feedback.
  6. Sep 4, 2007 #5
    Thank you. Any more simpler idea to achieve just a >50% power efficiency.
  7. Sep 4, 2007 #6
  8. Sep 5, 2007 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?