1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge and Coulombs - what does 0 coulombs mean?

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    I'm studying electrostatics and magnetism right now in Physics II for Engineers. I'm doing ok with most of the concepts, doing well in class, etc.

I'm missing (or at least not 100% sure) of a basic part of the concept here. I feel like I'm correct in assuming that an object with no charge is measured at 0 coulombs, meaning that there are an equal number of protons and electrons, although their count is not determined by the measurement. I've not actually been able to see it written plainly in print anywhere. I just need a solid confirmation on the fact...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yes, an object with no net charge has a charge of zero coulombs.

4. Oct 19, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the charge of an object is the excess charge. So having equal amount of positive and negative charges means that the charge of the object is zero.

5. Nov 15, 2014 #4
    We have charge, when occurs imbalance between opposite charges of the atom. This is happening when from a neutral atom, leave one or more electrons and then, the rest of the atom has a positive charge and it is now a positive ion. Conversely if in a neutral atom, added one or more electrons, then a negative ion formed, which have negative charge. Thus, a body is neutral when its atoms are neutral. In metal's atoms the outwardly electrons are loosely bonded to the core and moving continuously and randomly into the mass of the metal. The typical electrical behavior of metals is due to the free electrons.
    I hope to help you my child

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook