Charge relocation for Parallel Capacitors

In summary, when a charged capacitor is connected in parallel with an uncharged capacitor, the voltage across both capacitors will be the same and the capacitances will add together. Using this information and the relevant equations, it can be determined that the new net energy stored after the charge is redistributed is 20J. The excess energy goes into a test resistor that is placed between the two capacitors, causing a loss of energy in the resistor as the capacitors are connected.
TRovang
The question states: A charged capacitor C has stored energy U = 10.0J. A second, equal but initially uncharged capacitor (no energy stored) is then connected to the first in parallel.
(a) What is the new net energy stored after the charge is redistributed?
(b) Where did the excess energy go?Relevant equations include:
U = 1/2*Q2/C
V = Q/C

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is stating that the voltage drop across both capacitors will be the same once the second is placed in parallel. This gives me the equation:
V = Qo/Co = Q1/C1

Also, since the capacitance adds together I get C1 = 2*Co

Thus, using the first equation and the second I got Qo = 1/2*Q1

Now I have U = 10.0 = Qo2/(2*Co)

However the denominator is simply C1 so I get C1*10.0 = Qo2

Now subbing in for Qo I finally get C1*10.0 = Q12/4.

This rearranges to give 20 = Q12/(2*C1) = U1.

Thus I find that the new net energy stored is actually 20J. This implies that part (b) makes absolutely no sense or I am completely wrong in my derivations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
TRovang said:
The question states: A charged capacitor C has stored energy U = 10.0J. A second, equal but initially uncharged capacitor (no energy stored) is then connected to the first in parallel.
(a) What is the new net energy stored after the charge is redistributed?
(b) Where did the excess energy go?

Relevant equations include:
U = 1/2*Q2/C
V = Q/C

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is stating that the voltage drop across both capacitors will be the same once the second is placed in parallel. This gives me the equation:
V = Qo/Co = Q1/C1

Also, since the capacitance adds together I get C1 = 2*Co

Thus, using the first equation and the second I got Qo = 1/2*Q1

Now I have U = 10.0 = Qo2/(2*Co)

However the denominator is simply C1 so I get C1*10.0 = Qo2

Now subbing in for Qo I finally get C1*10.0 = Q12/4.

This rearranges to give 20 = Q12/(2*C1) = U1.

Thus I find that the new net energy stored is actually 20J. This implies that part (b) makes absolutely no sense or I am completely wrong in my derivations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like your initial assumptions are not right.

Start with the one capacitor all by itself, and Qo = Co * Vo

After you connect the 2nd capacitor, the charge Q gets evenly distributed across the two capacitors, so the voltage drops. What does it drop to? What is the initial energy of the one cap at the higher voltage compared to the final energy of the two caps at the lower voltage?

Then for part b -- this is a very commonly asked question for this problem. You can probably find it with a search here at the PF (it gets asked quite often), but basically the way to get a handle on it is to put a test resistor between the two caps, and work out the energy loss in the resistor as you connect the two caps together. Do this with a value R, and then a value R/10, and a value R/100, and so on. Do you see something useful ?

1. What is charge relocation for parallel capacitors?

Charge relocation for parallel capacitors refers to the phenomenon where the charges on the plates of a parallel plate capacitor redistribute in order to maintain a constant potential difference between the plates.

2. How does charge relocation occur in parallel capacitors?

Charge relocation occurs in parallel capacitors due to the principle of charge conservation. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, the charges on the plates redistribute in such a way that the electric field between the plates remains constant.

3. What happens to the capacitance of parallel capacitors during charge relocation?

The capacitance of parallel capacitors does not change during charge relocation. The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor depends on the area and distance between the plates, which remains constant during charge relocation.

4. Why is charge relocation important in parallel capacitors?

Charge relocation is important in parallel capacitors because it ensures that the voltage remains constant between the plates. This allows for a stable and reliable electrical circuit.

5. Can charge relocation occur in series capacitors?

No, charge relocation does not occur in series capacitors. In series capacitors, the charges on the plates are not able to redistribute, as there is only one path for the charges to flow. Therefore, the voltage across the capacitors may change during the charge redistribution process.