Charged particle in Electric and Magnetic field

In summary: Are you sure in the minus sign in z? Check the acceleration.Then find the time when x, y, z are zero and the condition that this can happen if ##sin(wt) = sin (wt + 2π)##In summary, a charged particle projected with a specific charge and mass from the origin with an initial velocity in a space with a uniform electric and magnetic field will return to the origin if the condition ##sin(wt) = sin (wt + 2π)## is met. The general coordinates of the particle can be expressed as ##x=\frac{v_1m}{qB}sinωt## , ##y = v_2t - \frac{qE}{2
Vibhor

Homework Statement

A particle of specific charge q/m is projected from the origin of coordinates with initial velocity ##v_1\hat{i}+v_2\hat{j}## in space having uniform electric field and magnetic field as ##-E\hat{j}## and ##-B\hat{j}## respectively. The particle will definitely return to the origin once if

A) ##\frac{v_1B}{\pi E}## is an integer
B) ##\frac{v_2B}{\pi E}## is an integer
C) ##\frac{\sqrt{{v_1}^2+{v_2}^2}B}{\pi E}## is an integer
D) ##\frac{q}{m}\frac{\sqrt{{v_1}^2+{v_2}^2}B}{\pi E}## is an integer

Homework Equations

Lorentz force = ##q\vec{v}## x ##\vec{B} + q\vec{E}##

The Attempt at a Solution

The force on the charged particle will be ##\vec{F} = qBv_y\hat{i} - qE\hat{j}- qBv_x\hat{k}## .

There will be a force on the particle in negative z- direction which means particle will never return to origin . I am not sure how to move forward .

Please help me .

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vibhor said:
There will be a force on the particle in negative z- direction
If so, it acquires a velocity component in that direction and your Lorentz force changes !

BvU said:
If so, it acquires a velocity component in that direction and your Lorentz force changes !

Ok . So what should be my next step ?

What kind of trajectories can you think of in a field like that ? Which would let the partcle go through the origin more than once ?

Sorry , I have no idea .

Vibhor said:

Homework Statement

A particle of specific charge q/m is projected from the origin of coordinates with initial velocity ##v_1\hat{i}+v_2\hat{j}## in space having uniform electric field and magnetic field as ##-E\hat{j}## and ##-B\hat{j}## respectively. The particle will definitely return to the origin once if

Homework Equations

Lorentz force = ##q\vec{v}## x ##\vec{B} + q\vec{E}##

The Attempt at a Solution

The force on the charged particle will be ##\vec{F} = qBv_y\hat{i} - qE\hat{j}- qBv_x\hat{k}## .
Check the vector product. Y component of velocity does not give component of force with y component of magnetic field.
Vibhor said:
There will be a force on the particle in negative z- direction which means particle will never return to origin .
Thanks
Without the electric field, the particle would move in the ( x,z) plane, perpendicular to the magnetic field, along a circle.
Recall that ##\vec F= m \frac {d \vec v }{dt}##. Write it in components.

Last edited:
Likes Vibhor
Hello ehild ,

Thanks for replying.

ehild said:
Check the vector product. Y component of velocity does not give component of force with y component of magnetic field.

Sorry . That was a typo . ##\vec{F} = qBv_z\hat{i} - qE\hat{j}- qBv_x\hat{k}##

ehild said:
Without the electric field, the particle would move in the ( x,z) plane, perpendicular to the magnetic field, along a circle.

Why ? There is an initial component of velocity along Y-axis .

ehild said:
Recall that ##\vec F= m \vec {\dot v}##. Write it in components.

##m a_x = qBv_z##
##m a_y = -qE##
##m a_z = -qBv_x##

Vibhor said:
Hello ehild ,

Why ? There is an initial component of velocity along Y-axis .
Ah, yes.
Vibhor said:
##m a_x = qBv_z##
##m a_y = -qE##
##m a_z = -qBv_x##
Write the acceleration components as time derivatives of the velocity components, and solve the system of differential equation.

Likes Vibhor
ehild said:
Write the acceleration components as time derivatives of the velocity components, and solve the system of differential equation.
You mean I should solve the following three equations .

$$m \frac{dv_x}{dt} = qBv_z$$
$$m \frac{dv_y}{dt} = -qE$$
$$m \frac{dv_z}{dt} = -qBv_x$$

They look bit difficult to solve ?

Vibhor said:
You mean I should solve the following three equations .

$$m \frac{dv_x}{dt} = qBv_z$$
$$m \frac{dv_y}{dt} = -qE$$
$$m \frac{dv_z}{dt} = -qBv_x$$

They look bit difficult to solve ?

No. You can solve the y component at once. The x, z components correspond to circular motion. (Why?) Take the derivative of the first equation and substitute ## \frac{dv_z}{dt} ## into the third one.

Likes Vibhor
Ok . So what should I do once I get vx,vy,vz ? How do I impose the condition that particle passes the origin ? Should I need to find general coordinates of the particle ?

Vibhor said:
Ok . So what should I do once I get vx,vy,vz ? How do I impose the condition that particle passes the origin ? Should I need to find general coordinates of the particle ?
Integrate the velocity components to get the coordinates with the initial condition x=y=z = 0. Find the condition that they are the same at a later time.
No need to use other coordinates.

Likes BvU and Vibhor
ehild said:
Find the condition that they are the same at a later time.

What is same at a later time ?

Vibhor said:
What is same at a later time ?
x and y and z all are zero again.

Likes Vibhor
Ok . I tried finding vx . ##v_x = ±v_1sin(ωt+φ)## where ω = qB/m and φ = nπ/2 ( n is odd) . Is this alright ?

Vibhor said:
Ok . I tried finding vx . ##v_x = ±v_1sin(ωt+φ)## where ω = qB/m and φ = nπ/2 ( n is odd) . Is this alright ?
You can write it as vx=v1 cos (wt). And what is vz?

Likes Vibhor
ehild said:
You can write it as vx=v1 cos (wt).

Please explain .

Last edited:
You left your solution with an arbitrary odd n. Choose n =1, then vx=v1cos(wt) will fulfill the initial condition.

Likes Vibhor
Ok .

So, ##x=\frac{v_1}{ω}sinωt## ??

Vibhor said:
Ok .

So, ##x=\frac{v_1}{ω}sinωt## ??
Yes. Go ahead.

Likes Vibhor
The general coordinates are ##x=\frac{v_1m}{qB}sinωt## , ##y = v_2t - \frac{qE}{2m}t^2## , ##z = \frac{v_1m}{qB}(1-cosωt)##

Last edited:
Vibhor said:
The general coordinates are ##x=\frac{v_1m}{qB}sinωt## , ##y = v_2t - \frac{qE}{2m}t^2## , ##z = \frac{v_1m}{qB}(1-cosωt)##
Are you sure in the minus sign in z? Check the acceleration.

Then find the time when x, y, z are zero and the condition that this can happen.

Likes Vibhor
ehild said:
Are you sure in the minus sign in x ?

You mean there should be a minus sign ??

Vibhor said:
You mean there should be a minus sign ??
No, in z. I think the minus sign is at the wrong place. Check.

Likes Vibhor
Sorry . I think It should be ##x=\frac{v_1m}{qB}sinωt## only . I don't see why there should be a minus sign .

Vibhor said:
Sorry . I think It should be ##x=\frac{v_1m}{qB}sinωt## only . I don't see why there should be a minus sign .
x is correct. I meant z, sorry.

Likes Vibhor
##z = - \frac{v_1m}{qB}(1-cosωt) ## ??

Vibhor said:
##z = - \frac{v_1m}{qB}(1-cosωt) ## ??
Yes.

Likes Vibhor
Ok .

x will be 0 when ##\frac{qBt}{\pi m }## is an integer , y will be 0 at ##t = \frac{2mv_2}{qE}## , z will be 0 when ##\frac{qBt}{2\pi m }## is an integer

Vibhor said:
Ok .

x will be 0 when ##\frac{qBt}{\pi m }## is an integer , y will be 0 at ##t = \frac{2mv_2}{qE}## , z will be 0 when ##\frac{qBt}{2\pi m }## is an integer
What integer is it? When is z = 0? And all of them should be zero at the same time.

Likes Vibhor
Option B) :smile:

Vibhor said:
Option B) :smile:
Correct :smile:. Was it difficult?

Likes Vibhor
ehild said:
Was it difficult?

It surely was until you took over :smile: . Honestly speaking , I had almost made up my mind to leave this problem as I was completely clueless :headbang:. But last couple of hours of problem solving were pretty exciting :partytime:,thanks to you .

You are amazing :bow:.

It was the combination of a circular motion in the x,z plane and a vertical projectile motion in the direction of y. The period of the circular motion should be the same as the flight time of the vertical projectile.

upload_2016-5-10_11-18-29.png
Thank you for the thanks :smile:

Last edited:
Likes Vibhor

1. What is a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field?

A charged particle in an electric and magnetic field is a particle that has an electric charge and is moving through a region where there are both electric and magnetic fields present. The particle will experience forces from both the electric and magnetic fields, which will affect its motion.

2. How do electric and magnetic fields affect a charged particle?

Electric fields exert a force on charged particles, causing them to accelerate in the direction of the field if they have the same charge, or in the opposite direction if they have opposite charges. Magnetic fields, on the other hand, exert a force on moving charged particles, causing them to change direction.

3. What is the equation for calculating the force on a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field?

The equation for calculating the force on a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field is F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

4. How do the electric and magnetic fields affect the motion of a charged particle?

The electric field will cause the charged particle to accelerate in the direction of the field, while the magnetic field will cause the particle to move in a circular path perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the particle's velocity. The combination of these two effects can result in complex motion, such as a helical path.

5. What are some practical applications of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields?

Charged particles in electric and magnetic fields are used in a variety of technologies, including particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and cathode ray tubes. They are also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in space, such as in the Earth's magnetic field or in the solar wind.