Charger works with engine off in big rig but not in car

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in functionality of power outlets in different vehicles, specifically in regards to charging cellphones. While some vehicles may keep the power outlets on when the engine is turned off, others may turn them off, causing issues with charging. The conversation also mentions a safety concern with using certain devices in power outlets without the car running, as well as personal anecdotes about past experiences. It is also mentioned that certain phones may be picky about charging from different power sources.
bluemoonKY
I am a trucker. I drive a Freightliner Cascadia semi-truck. My cell phone charger will charge my cellphone with the engine turned off on my semi-truck. But the same charger will not charge up my cellphone in my car when my car's engine is turned off.

Why will my charger charge up a cellphone with the engine off in my big rig but not in my car?

Engineering news on Phys.org
bluemoonKY said:
I am a trucker. I drive a Freightliner Cascadia semi-truck. My cell phone charger will charge my cellphone with the engine turned off on my semi-truck. But the same charger will not charge up my cellphone in my car when my car's engine is turned off.

Why will my charger charge up a cellphone with the engine off in my big rig but not in my car?

Different vehicles have different functionality at their "cigarette lighter" power outlets. Some keep them on when the ignition is off, others turn them off. My Suburban keeps them on, but I know several other vehicles (Prius, a Subaru, etc.) that turn them off.

berkeman said:
I know several other vehicles (Prius, a Subaru, etc.) that turn them off.
That is actually a safety factor (although I don't know if that was the intent). My portable oxygen generator specifically says to not use it on "lighter socket" power without the car running, because it could deplete the battery enough to prevent starting.

Geez... that just brought something from my kidhood back to mind. I was once very tired and fell asleep (in the parking lot of a hospital waiting for my father) behind the wheel of our '66 Falcon. I awoke to a nagging pain in my right knee, and when I looked at it the lighter was melted into my pants because I had pressed it in and held it there with my leg when I nodded off. To this day, I can't figure out why the fuse didn't blow.

My wife's BlackBerry refuses to charge from the car at all - whether engine on or off. My LG is fine.

I think the BlackBerrys are picky about the flavour of juice.

Likes Danger
DaveC426913 said:
:oldlaugh:

DaveC426913 said:
My wife's BlackBerry refuses to charge from the car at all - whether engine on or off. My LG is fine.

Wow, talk about an anti-feature!

Yep. Extremely irritating, since about 50% of our need for phones is to keep in touch when we go out.

Nothin' like heading put on a shopping trip and discovering your phone is dead. Guess I'll be slouchin' about outside the fashion shops...

DaveC426913 said:
Guess I'll be slouchin' about outside the fashion shops...
:oldsurprised:
Oh! The humanity...! :oldcry:

1. How is it possible for a charger to work with the engine off in a big rig but not in a car?

The main reason for this difference is the size and power of the batteries in big rigs compared to cars. Big rigs typically have multiple batteries with higher voltage and capacity, allowing them to power devices for longer periods of time without the engine running.

2. Can I use the same charger for both my big rig and car?

It is not recommended to use the same charger for both vehicles. As mentioned, big rigs have larger and more powerful batteries, so using a charger designed for cars may not provide enough power to charge the batteries in a big rig effectively.

3. Why is it important to turn off the engine when using a charger in a big rig?

Turning off the engine while using a charger in a big rig prevents any interference or fluctuations in power that may affect the charging process. It also helps to conserve fuel and reduce emissions.

4. Can a big rig's battery die if the engine is left off for too long while using a charger?

Yes, if the charger is not providing enough power to offset the drain from other devices, the battery may eventually die. It is important to monitor the battery levels and turn on the engine periodically to recharge the batteries if needed.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when using a charger in a big rig with the engine off?

Yes, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the charger and make sure it is compatible with the vehicle's batteries. It is also recommended to monitor the battery levels and turn on the engine if needed to prevent draining the batteries too much.