Chebyshev Density and Potential/Runge Phenomenon

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the integral from -1 to 1 of p(x)*log|z-x| dx equals log|z - sqrt(z^2 -1)| / 2, where p(x) = 1 / (pi*sqrt(1-x^2))

2. Other information

This topic comes from Chebyshev interpolation. p(x) is the Chebyshev density.

3. The attempt at a solution

The best idea I could come up with was to use z = x + iy and substitute that into log|z-x| to get log|x+iy-x| = log|iy| = log(y) since |iy| = sqrt(0^2 + y^2) = sqrt(y^2) = y. That left me with just one term with an x to integrate. Then I used trig substitution of x = sin(theta) to have the integral become:

integral from -pi/2 to pi/2 of log(y)/pi d(theta). That left me with an answer of just log(y) which is clearly not right, or at least not in the form that should be. I think my approach to the integration is completely off.
  2. jcsd
  3. Hello,

Is this question from the exercises of chapter 5 of the text 'Spectral Methods' by Trefethen? If so, I believe equation (5.9) of that text is wrong. The potential should have the form

phi(z) = log(|z+sqrt(z^2 - 1)/2|)

so that the minus sign is actually a plus. I'm working on the first exercise. Your question seems to be pertaining to the fifth exercise. Not sure if this helps.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?