1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Check for the convergence or divergence of the following series

1. Oct 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here are some series I'm completely stuck on.
    1.sqrt(n)*(1-cos(1/n))

2. a series in which if n is odd, then an is 1/(n+[itex]\sqrt[]{n}[/itex]) while if n is even, then an is -1/n

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For 1., I tried integral test which seemed impossible to integrate, and then I tried comparison test but i can't find anything to compare to

For 2. I thought that as n approaches infinity for 1/(n+[itex]\sqrt[]{n}[/itex]), which equals (1/[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex])/([itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex]+1), then that expression pretty much looks like 1/n and thus the series is approx (-1)^n/n and is thus conditionally convergent like (-1)^n/n. But I then realized perhaps you can't apply the alternating series test since in the original series, the abs value of it is not decreasing for every term.E.g.1/(100+root(100))=1/110 < 1/101 Anyone have any idea on how to tackle this, or am I right from my original attempt?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Let's start with #1.

Your series is: ##\sum_{n=1}^{∞} \sqrt{n} - \sqrt{n}cos(\frac{1}{n})##

I know this may seem misleading, but this series appears to converge.

Hint: ##|cos(\frac{1}{n})| ≤ 1##

4. Oct 4, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, it converges, but you need to use a stronger fact about cos of small angles. Freshman2013, do you know the Taylor expansion of cos?

5. Oct 4, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For the first problem, this trig identity may be useful: ##2\sin^2(x) = 1 - \cos(2x)##.

6. Oct 4, 2013 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For problem 2, try adding ##a_n## and ##a_{n+1}##, where ##n## is odd.

7. Oct 4, 2013 #6
    so for the second one, could I do this:
    the first term 1/(n+[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex]) for all odd n, I rewrite as a separate series 1/(2n-1+[itex]\sqrt{2n-1}[/itex]) and the 2nd term -1/n for all even n I rewrite as -1/(2n)

I combine those two series and I get (1-[itex]\sqrt{2n-1}[/itex])/(4n^2-2n+2n[itex]\sqrt{2n-1}[/itex]) and test for that(which is convergent). And I do the same except with 1/2n instead -1/2n to check for absolute convergence.

8. Oct 4, 2013 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For absolute convergence, you can do something simpler. I claim that if there is some subsequence ##(n_k)_{k=1}^{\infty}## such that ##\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} |a_{n_k}|## diverges, then ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |a_n|## must also diverge. If you can prove this, then you can apply it immediately to your series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted