Check to see whether it is time invariant or not?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a given system is time invariant or not. One solution suggests that it is time invariant, while the other argues that it is time varying due to the gain being a function of time. The explanation given is that as time increases, so does the gain of the system, leading to a never-ending increase.
chessmath
Hi
the problem that I am dealing with is to check whether y[n]=T{x[n]}=x[kn] time invariant or not?

My solution is I said z(n)=T{x[n-A]}=x[k(n-A)]

and y[n-A]=x[k(n-A)]
and because y[n-A]=z(n) so it is time invariant

but solution is saying that it is time varying because z(n)=x[kn-A] meaning that A is not multiplied by n so y[n-A] is not equal to z(n).

Can anyone explain to me why this is the case?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The gain is obviously a function of time. As n (which means as time) increases, so does the gain of the system - ad infinitum. Example: x[n]) = 1 for all n, then y[n] = k, 2k, 3k, ... so the system gain increases forever.

1. What does it mean for a system to be time-invariant?

A time-invariant system is one in which the output does not change over time, regardless of when the input is applied. This means that the system's behavior remains the same even if the input signal is delayed, advanced, or multiplied by a constant.

2. How can I check whether a system is time-invariant or not?

To check if a system is time-invariant, you can perform a time-shift test. This involves applying a time-shifted input signal to the system and comparing the output to the original signal. If the output is the same, the system is time-invariant.

3. What are some examples of time-invariant systems?

Some common examples of time-invariant systems include passive electronic circuits, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, as well as linear systems, such as filters and amplifiers.

4. Can a system be both time-invariant and time-varying?

No, a system cannot be both time-invariant and time-varying. A time-varying system is one in which the output changes over time, while a time-invariant system remains constant. It is not possible for a system to exhibit both behaviors simultaneously.

5. Why is it important to determine if a system is time-invariant?

Knowing whether a system is time-invariant or not is crucial for understanding its behavior and making accurate predictions. Time-invariant systems have predictable and consistent responses, which is desirable in many applications, such as in signal processing and control systems.