Chef Anthony Bourdain Found dead reason girlfriend cheated on him

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reason
In summary, Anthony Bourdain, a 61-year-old award-winning chef, television personality, and travel writer, died by suicide. He was reportedly exhausted from working on his travel show and writing his books.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I'm in shock.

Award-winning chef, writer and television personality Anthony Bourdain has died in an apparent suicide. He was 61.

Bourdain was found dead on Friday morning in his room at a luxury hotel in the tiny village of Kaysersberg in the Alsace region of northeast France. He appeared to have hung himself, according to Christian de Rocquigny du Fayel, the prosecutor of Colmar in Alsace region, southeast of Kaysersberg.

The exact cause of death is under investigation.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/anthony-bourdain-dies-61-112903419--abc-news-topstories.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Very sad to lose someone who brought so much enjoyment to so many. :oldfrown:

Likes Evo
Shows the true evil of the disease. Depression is not just feeling down for awhile. Here we have a tough as nails new yorker who rose to celebrity chef fame and fortune working his tail off beginning as a dish washer. He's seen every corner of the earth. Listening to his show and reading his books you can tell he is a true creative and poet. His mind ended up betraying him. RIP.

Likes dlgoff, gibberingmouther, StoneTemplePython and 1 other person
I too am in shock.

What a gift to the world he was as are the stories of life he shared with us.

May he rest in peace, and may peace be upon his family, friends, colleagues and others whose lives he touched in a meaningful way.

I think my favorite episode was the one in Iran. Seemingly effortless for him to bridge the gap. I learned things that helped me understand my Iranian born colleagues.

A lot of news articles have been pointing out how the incidence of suicide has been rising in the USA for the last couple of decades.

I've been pondering the death/suicide of Anthony Bourdain.

From an article on Yahoo by People Magazine: "Gladys spoke to Ripert following her son’s sudden death and Ripert told her “Tony had been in a dark mood these past couple of days.”"

Now in retrospect/hindsight, there were apparent warning signs.

Fox News (Yahoo) The troubling signs leading up to Anthony Bourdain's suicide
Micki Spollen (Yahoo, Lifestyle) 5 Sad Details About Anthony Bourdain's Suicide, Including The 2016 Parts Unknown Episode That Should've Warned Us He Needed Help

Yahoo by People Magazine: Anthony Bourdain's Grueling Travel Schedule Left Him 'Always Very, Very Tired' and 'Not Especially Cheerful': Source
“He’d put everything into the shoots and then go back to his room to isolate.”

“It never struck me as peculiar, but it was as if he gave everything to his work and then had nothing, zero, left for himself afterwards,” adds the source. “He was always very, very tried. He pushed himself extremely hard. Most producers and crew don’t work on every single episode, it’s just too much especially if you have a family. But that wasn’t an option for Tony. We never had any sense of depression or mental illness. He was not especially cheerful or engaging, off camera, but it was never rude or ill-intentioned. The guy was absolutely exhausted.”

The former chef spent about 250 days per year on the road traveling to different cities seeking out indigenous cuisine and the locals who make it. In his last interview with PEOPLE, Bourdain expressed how he had no intentions of retiring.

Bourdain had no intentions of retiring, yet he chose to end it all by suicide.

It has occurred to me that an exhausting schedule involving alcohol consumption could lead to depleted resources mentally, emotionally and physiologically. Metabolism of alcohol requires resources of from the body, which if not replenished could become significantly depleted.

"The process of metabolizing alcohol requires nutrients. As the liver decreases its supply of these nutrients, the blood stream is called upon to replenish the supply. As a result, body cells are deprived of critical nutrients and normal body functions suffer. If you consume alcohol regularly and try to stop, you may suffer from symptoms that include anxiety, insomnia, tremors, shakiness, dizziness, and depression. You may also experience impaired cognitive thinking and poor memory."

Many of the aforementioned symptoms are caused by nutrient deficiencies, particularly the B-complex vitamins, which are especially vulnerable to alcohol use. Deficiencies of Vitamin C and various elements are also detrimental to mental and physiological health.

https://www.bouldermedicalcenter.com/nutrition-recommendations-consume-alcohol/

I wonder if the combination of past drug and alcohol use coupled with the stress of the kitchen and the constant travel not only brought on depression but Post Traumatic Stress which ultimately convinced him to end it all.

Get help if you need it people, it isn't a sin to admit you have a problem.

phinds said:
A lot of news articles have been pointing out how the incidence of suicide has been rising in the USA for the last couple of decades.

I'm curious if the apparent increase in the incidence of suicide is in fact a real rise, or due to better tracking of causes of death (I had read somewhere -- I can't recall the source -- which suggested this).

Likes russ_watters
StatGuy2000 said:
I'm curious if the apparent increase in the incidence of suicide is in fact a real rise, or due to better tracking of causes of death (I had read somewhere -- I can't recall the source -- which suggested this).
That's a good point and certainly a possibility but I would think that reporting has been pretty accurate for at least a decade or two. It was, as I understand it, very common decades ago and more for suicides to be reported as natural death due to the shame of the families and also for Catholics in particular since suicide is a sin for them.

Was pretty sad about this, he was my favorite foodie/travel person and binged all the netflix episodes

Likes Evo
Turns out he committed suicide because his girlfriend Asia Argento was cheating on him.

There were photos posted of her in Rome kissing, hugging and holding hands with another man. Then she posted "F everyone " You know who you are" Anthony "liked" the post to acknowledge he saw it and committed suicide.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/08/anthony-bourdain-asia-argento-relationship-split-close/

There were a number of links, I didn't keep them all.

Evo said:
Turns out he committed suicide because his girlfriend Asia Argento was cheating on him.
"There's no fool like an old fool."

(Too harsh?)

Likes Evo
strangerep said:
"There's no fool like an old fool."

(Too harsh?)
No, I'm sure that's part of what he was thinking, she was half his age. And to be publicly embarrassed this way, so suddenly, (of course I don't know what had been going on, just the pictures and posts prior to the few days before this started, they appeared so happy together), he must have had public shame on top of heartbreak. I feel so bad for him. I hope she has enough sense not to show up at his funeral.

Here’s some NIMH guidelines to read on detecting and preventing in those close to us

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/suicide-prevention/index.shtml

My dad once told me a story about a patient visiting a psychiatrist. The patient had many demons that he was struggling with and one day he shows up for his session very upbeat and happy apparently cured.

The psychiatrist couldn’t make sense of the change until a few days later he was informed that the patient had died by his own hand.

The reason for the change became clear, the patient had resolved his dilemmas and decided death was the way to go. A great weight had been lifted and so he said goodbye to everyone in a happy mood, giving away his possessions and preparing himself for the journey.

Likes Evo
If only he had reached out to Eric at that time and not stayed alone in his room. So tragic, such a loss, he was so brilliant.

I hope Eric is doing ok, he and Anthony were SO CLOSE. Eric is Buddhist, not sure how they view suicide.

jedishrfu said:
My dad once told me a story about a patient visiting a psychiatrist. The patient had many demons that he was struggling with and one day he shows up for his session very upbeat and happy apparently cured.

The psychiatrist couldn’t make sense of the change until a few days later he was informed that the patient had died by his own hand.
Oh my. Good tip, thank you jedishrfu.

Evo said:
I'm in shock.
My shock hasn't lessened a bit since Friday. :oldcry::oldcry:

Likes Evo
berkeman said:
Oh my. Good tip, thank you jedishrfu.
That reminds me of Arildno. He had asked me some questions, which I won't discuss here, which only made sense after he died. As his brother said, Arildno was never happier than the week before he committed suicide. Having, I guess, come to terms with what troubled him. But he reached out to me several times about death in the previous month and I just didn't make any connection to him being suicidal, he was asking questions about other members that had died, and that we should take away their birth date so that they no longer appeared to get older. Things like that. Then I saw that he had deleted his birth date. Then :oldcry:

Evo said:
That reminds me of Arildno.
So sad.

Likes Evo
Evo said:
That reminds me of Arildno.
Uh, let's not get --- shall we say, "Maudlin?"

Bystander said:
Uh, let's not get --- shall we say, "Maudlin?"
Sorry, it seems I'm surrounded by death, the first at age 16 when a guy that liked me committed suicide when I broke a date, well, he thought it was a date, I thought we were just going to go get something to eat. (long story). His family blamed me. I left a note because I couldn't reach him, but I found the note I had left on my door on the floor down the hall that night, I don't know if it was still on my door when he arrived, there were no cell phones or answering machines then, I had left a message with his little brother. He committed suicide that night. I thought we were just friends. They said he was in love with me. Ok, that was the 1st. It continues. Suicides, threats of suicides, murder. I have refused to date for a couple of decades. NOT GOING THROUGH IT.

Last edited:
Evo said:
NOT GOING THROUGH IT.
Hokay. :smile:

I think they had broken up already before he saw that photo of her with another man. It's sad because with all the money and fame he had, he even could've gotten a much better-looking girl than that one, and a more faithful one too.

Last edited:
I think its time to close this thread. Much as we would like to figure out why Anthony committed suicide, we will never know the true reasons and its not for us to speculate on such a complex topic. I'd like to thank all of you who contributed here and close with the following remarks.

Suicide is not something someone does casually. The person is boxed in by their own beliefs, expectations, thoughts and environment to such an extent that they really don't know what else to do to alleviate the unending stress.

The closest we could ever come to understanding why is to think of the terror we sometimes experience during final exam week where we struggle to do well given that we haven't learned things as well as we needed caused by poor time management, distractions, inability to study, lack of sleep... We are further fearful of what our parents will think when they see our grades.

We anxiously must wait for our grades to be mailed out, and how we might explain them. We may be juggling the demands of a relationship that could fall apart because of our overwhelming worries. If we let them, these self-inflicted internal pressures can be too much to bear and so suicide begins to look like a real solution.

This is why we need to understand the symptoms of suicide and take care of ourselves, be stewards to our friends so that no one will ever again fall into this trap.

Likes FallenApple, Evo, Astronuc and 1 other person

1. What was the cause of Chef Anthony Bourdain's death?

Chef Anthony Bourdain died by suicide in 2018.

2. Did his girlfriend's infidelity play a role in his death?

According to Bourdain's friends and family, his girlfriend's infidelity was a contributing factor in his depression and ultimately his decision to take his own life.

3. Was there any other reason for his death besides his girlfriend's cheating?

Bourdain had a long history of struggling with depression and substance abuse, which may have also played a role in his decision to end his life. However, his loved ones believe that the betrayal by his girlfriend was the tipping point.

4. Did Chef Anthony Bourdain leave a suicide note?

No, Bourdain did not leave a suicide note. However, he did write extensively about his struggles with mental health and thoughts of suicide in his books and interviews.

5. How did the news of Chef Anthony Bourdain's death impact the culinary world?

The news of Bourdain's death was met with shock and sadness in the culinary world. Bourdain was a beloved figure in the industry and his death sparked important conversations about mental health and the high-pressure, high-stress nature of the restaurant industry.

Back