Chemical Engineering Questions: Basic Sterilisation and Heat Transfer

• Thread starter Dave_
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with questions related to chemical engineering. The questions involve calculating flow rates and using equations such as Q = mc(DeltaT) to solve for unknown variables. The conversation also mentions using online calculators and making assumptions to answer the questions.
Dave_
I'm currently in my first week of undergrad chemical engineering and was set these questions to answer, so any help or any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

a) 32000 kg/hr + 5000 kg/hr = 37000 kg/hr

b ) (The question is meant to be 0.05kg) 37000 * 0.05 = 1850 kg/hr

c) I'm not entirely sure what to do on this question, I'm assuming it has something to do with Q = mc(DeltaT) but I'm not 100% sure how I would apply this.

d) I used a online calculator for this and obtained a value of 1.55 Mpa.

e) I'm unsure on how to answer this question.

f) I answered a shell and tube heat exchanger.

image.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

In (c) you can determine the flow rate vertically, and you are told it cools from 135° to 40°. The heat it loses goes into warming the horizontal flow from ambient to ?

Determine ? stating any assumptions you make.

Related to Chemical Engineering Questions: Basic Sterilisation and Heat Transfer

1. What is the purpose of sterilization?

Sterilization is the process of eliminating all microorganisms, including bacteria, viruses, and fungi, from an object or surface. It is done to prevent the spread of infectious diseases and maintain a clean and safe environment.

2. How does a basic sterilizer work?

A basic sterilizer typically uses heat or chemicals to kill microorganisms. Heat sterilization involves exposing the object or surface to high temperatures for a specific amount of time, while chemical sterilization involves using disinfectants or sanitizers to kill microorganisms.

3. What are the different types of sterilization methods?

Some common methods of sterilization include autoclaving, dry heat sterilization, chemical sterilization, and irradiation. Each method has its own advantages and is used depending on the type of object or surface being sterilized.

4. How do I know if an object or surface has been properly sterilized?

There are several methods to test the effectiveness of sterilization, such as using biological indicators, chemical indicators, and physical measurements. These tests can determine if all microorganisms have been killed and the sterilization process was successful.

5. What are the potential risks of improper sterilization?

If an object or surface is not properly sterilized, it can lead to the spread of infectious diseases and contamination. This can be especially dangerous in medical settings, where contaminated equipment or surfaces can lead to infections in patients. Improper sterilization can also result in the growth of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.