1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics

1. May 30, 2008 #1
    One mole of supercooled liquid tin (Sn) is adiabatically contained at 495K. Given:

the melting temperature of Sn, Tm, Sn = 505 [K]
    the enthalpy of fusion of Sn, hfus, Sn = 7070 [J/mol]
    the heat capacity of liquid Sn, Cp, Sn(l) = 34.7 – 9.2 x10-3 T [J / (mol K)]
    the heat capacity of solid Sn, Cp, Sn(s) = 18.5 + 2.6 x 10-2 T [J / (mol K)]

(a) Briefly explain what will happen to the supercooled liquid tin.

(b) Calculate the fraction of liquid tin which spontaneously freezes. Provide a clearly labeled
    hypothetical path used in your calculation. State any assumption(s) you make.

I know (a), i'm just unsure how to draw a hypothetical path and unsure where to even start the calculation, any help is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2008 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm thinking that some of the supercooled liquid tin will freeze. (If it doesn't, then the problem is pretty uninteresting.) And I'm thinking that the freezing process will give off some heat, yes? Enough heat to raise the temperature of this adiabatic system to the freezing point? Does this help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?