Understand the Mystery of MgO: Magnesium + Oxygen Chemistry

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for the reaction between magnesium and oxygen to form magnesium oxide. The formula, Mg + O2 = MgO, is correct but needs to be balanced to show the correct number of atoms on each side. After balancing, the correct formula is 2Mg + O2 = 2MgO.
Faiien
So I'm taking chemistry again after a five hear hiatus from the topic and I would really appreciate an explanation on a certain formula.

magnesium +oxygen forms magnesium oxide
Mg+O2=MgO
My question is, what happened to the 1 of the oxygen atoms?
Shouldn't it be MgO2?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Faiien said:
So I'm taking chemistry again after a five hear hiatus from the topic and I would really appreciate an explanation on a certain formula.

Mg+O2=MgO
Shouldn't it be MgO2?

you shud write Mg and O in separate ion form = Mg^+2 + O^-2 = so, magnesium gives 2 electrons and oxygen takes 2 elctrons, the 2's cancel out = MgO. You have to realize that the end molecule has a net charge of zero, its electrically neutral.

Faiien said:
Mg+O2=MgO

All three formulas are correct. However, this is just a skeletal reaction equation, that is - it contains correct formulas, but it is not yet correct otherwise.

Shouldn't it be MgO2?

No, formula is correct and it shouldn't be modified. Where is the oxygen? Reaction should be balanced - that is, you should add stoichiometric coefficients so that number of atoms of all elements on both sides is identical:

2Mg + O2 -> 2MgO

Now everything is OK.

--

Borek said:
All three formulas are correct. However, this is just a skeletal reaction equation, that is - it contains correct formulas, but it is not yet correct otherwise.

No, formula is correct and it shouldn't be modified. Where is the oxygen? Reaction should be balanced - that is, you should add stoichiometric coefficients so that number of atoms of all elements on both sides is identical:

2Mg + O2 -> 2MgO

Now everything is OK.

--
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - buffer calculator, stoichiometry calculator
www.ph-meter.info - ph meter, ph electrode
[/QUOTE

Yes its right. But i was not sure what you were asking in the original question:)

Me?

--

Haha, ah I see now, thank you everyone.

1. What is the chemical formula for magnesium oxide (MgO)?

The chemical formula for magnesium oxide is MgO, which means it is made up of one magnesium atom and one oxygen atom.

2. How is magnesium oxide formed?

Magnesium oxide is formed by the reaction of magnesium metal with oxygen gas. This reaction is highly exothermic, meaning it releases a large amount of heat.

3. What are the physical properties of magnesium oxide?

Magnesium oxide is a white, odorless solid with a high melting point of 2,852°F (1,566°C). It is insoluble in water but can react with acids to form magnesium salts.

4. What are the uses of magnesium oxide?

Magnesium oxide has a variety of uses, including as a refractory material in furnace linings, in the production of cement, and as a component in some medicines and supplements.

5. How does magnesium oxide play a role in the environment?

Magnesium oxide is naturally present in the Earth's crust and plays a crucial role in many biological and geological processes. It also acts as a neutralizing agent in acid rain, helping to reduce its harmful effects on the environment.