Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical structure vs excitation frequency (photons)

1. Feb 13, 2019 at 2:25 AM #1
    Is there a text, or set of texts, on how to predict what frequency of photon is released when a particular molecule is brought to an excited state and then relaxes?

So for example if you were to put, say, benzene into an electrical tube and excite it what frequency would be released and more importantly why?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2019 at 2:35 AM #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 13, 2019 at 8:14 PM #3
    So if a substance/material gives off a certain frequency does that mean that it could also lase? Is there a book of meta-materials, such as materials that can accept one frequency to put electrons into an excited state but give off a different photon when the electrons drop back down?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 8:38 PM
  5. Feb 14, 2019 at 2:42 AM #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Not necessarily. Many substances can be made to lase, but you not necessarily at any frequency where transitions can occur.

It is not clear for me what you are after. Maybe if you look up chemical dye lasers you will find something.

6. Feb 14, 2019 at 3:16 AM #5

About mid way through it states there are materials where you can put in one energy and get out another energy. Thus it seems to me with such a material you could in effect pump this material with an easy to attain energy/frequency and get back a more difficult to attain frequency energy?

But the big question is how big is that meta stable region (what frequencies/energies will it accept) in order to give off the desired frequency?

I am currently taking a course in solid state electronic devices and plan to take a course in quantum mechanics next semester to help me figure this stuff out.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?