How many grams of FeCr2O7 are needed for 44.0 grams of CO2?

• Thread starter Quincy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, using proportions, it can be determined that 135.9 grams of iron (II) dichromate are required to produce 44.0 grams of carbon dioxide in the given reaction.
Quincy

Homework Statement

4FeCr2O7 + 8K2CO3 + O2 --> 2Fe2O3 + 8K2CrO4 + 8CO[sub2[/sub]

How many grams of iron (II) dichromate are required to produce 44.0 grams of carbon dioxide?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

79.925 grams of iron (II) dichromate

Physics news on Phys.org
Too low. Show your work.

Strange reaction and strange reactant though. If you ask me, there is no such thing as iron (II) dichromate.

Nevermind my first answer, I misinterpreted the problem, this is my new answer:

Since it takes takes 4 moles of iron (II) dichromate to produce 8 moles of carbon dioxide, it would take 0.5 moles of iron (II) dichromate to produce 1 mole of carbon dioxide (1 mole of CO2 = 44 g). And 0.5 moles of iron (II) dichromate = 109.92 grams of iron (II) dichromate (answer).

-- I don't really know what I'm doing btw; these are questions from my pre-AP Chem summer assignment and I'm bookless and haven't done any chemistry for about 1 1/2 years.

Your approach is OK, just numbers are wrong. What have you used for molar mass of iron (II) dichromate?

molar mass of iron (II) dichromate = 271.85 g

271.85/2 = 135.93 g... nevermind my other answer, is 135.93 g correct?

135.9 g is OK. Sorry for the late answer.

molar mass 4FeCr2O7 = 1087.4 g

molar mass 8CO2 = 352.08 g

1087.4/352.08 = x/44 ~ x = 135.9 g

^ Is it possible to use proportions for these type of problems?

FAQ: How many grams of FeCr2O7 are needed for 44.0 grams of CO2?

What is a chemical equation?

A chemical equation is a representation of a chemical reaction using chemical formulas and symbols. It shows the reactants on the left side and the products on the right side, separated by an arrow.

What is the purpose of balancing a chemical equation?

The purpose of balancing a chemical equation is to ensure that the number of each type of atom is the same on both sides of the equation. This follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction.

How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you must adjust the coefficients (numbers in front of the chemical formulas) so that the number of each type of atom is the same on both sides. You can do this by using the lowest common multiple of the coefficients or by trial and error.

What are the types of chemical reactions?

The main types of chemical reactions are synthesis (combination), decomposition, single replacement, double replacement, and combustion. These reactions can be classified based on the substances involved and the changes that occur.

Why is it important to understand chemical equations?

Understanding chemical equations is important for many reasons. It allows us to predict the products of a reaction, determine the amount of substances needed, and understand the underlying chemical processes in everyday life. It also helps us to design and improve technologies and develop new materials.

Back