Chemistry vs Physics Major?

• Programs
  • Thread starter cdotter
  • Start date
in some cases, physics and chemistry are very similar fields (condense matter/solid state) while other times they have no overlap (biochem/organic synth vs. particle physics).

the problem is that chemistry is much more of a central science, so students end up with more breath than depth. Biochem students still need to take physical chem and learn about the particle in a box, thermodynamics, etc. Physical chem majors like myself also had to take classes on reactivity (pericyclic reactions) and biochem (i remember: beta-barrel. and GFP. not much else...).
As a result, I find there to be a lack of mathematical rigor in the undergraduate chemistry classes (overall). as you seem to be interested in how physical observables can be described mathematically, physics is probably more interesting.

the biggest areas where you will see overlap is e&m and QM. the biggest problem with the chem major is the lack of mathematical rigor throughout the course (at the undergraduate level). once you get into the graduate level, lines start to blurr.
some examples to keep in mind:
X. phonons, i.e. lattice vibrations in solids, are described as coupled classical oscillators. yes, something learned in a physics class, but describing something you easily be researching in a chemical lab.
X. a lot of modern spectroscopy/physical chemistry deals with how various forms of waves interact with the particles. if i shoot a solution with a laser, how does the solution behave and what does this tell me about the composition? machines like mass-spec, IR, and NMR couple easily be studied in a chemistry or physics lab.
and to build these instruments, electronics knowledge is a necessary evil. its unfortunate, i guess.

EDIT: in 1998, the Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to a professor of physics at UCSB (Walter Kohn). in 2008, they awarded the same prize to 3 biochemists. this i only point this out to emphasis how broad a field chemistry is.

Last edited:
Likes DrTherapist