Cheney's Office: Part of the Executive Branch or Not?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary: At times he is not. This is ironic because he has been using executive privilege to refuse to answer questions from Congress.
I hadn't seen this exchange yet.

MR. RUSSERT: Let’s go to Alberto Gonzales. To give you a flavor of it, this is an exchange that he had with New York Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer about why he went to a hospital room, when he was counselor to the president, to talk to the attorney general. Let’s watch.

(Videotape, Tuesday)

SEN. CHUCK SCHUMER (D-NY): Did the president ask you to go?

ATT’Y GEN. ALBERTO GONZALES: We were there on behalf of the president of the United States.

SEN. SCHUMER: I didn’t ask you that.

ATT’Y GEN. GONZALES: I can’t...

SEN. SCHUMER: Did the president ask you to go?

ATT’Y GEN. GONZALES: Senator, we were there on behalf of the president of the United States.

SEN. SCHUMER: Why can’t you answer that question?

ATT’Y GEN. GONZALES: That’s the answer that I can give you, senator.

SEN. SCHUMER: Well, can you explain to me why you can’t answer it directly?

ATT’Y GEN. GONZALES: Senator, again, we were there on, on an important program for this president on behalf of the president of the United States.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20024553/page/6/

There seems to be significant interest in the President's involvement, and a greater effort to deny that information. Do I detect a non-denial denial?

<h2>1. Is Cheney's office considered part of the Executive Branch?</h2><p>Yes, Cheney's office is considered part of the Executive Branch of the United States government. This is because the Vice President, who heads the office, is a member of the Executive Branch and is second in line for the presidency after the President.</p><h2>2. What is the purpose of Cheney's office?</h2><p>The purpose of Cheney's office is to assist and advise the Vice President in their duties and responsibilities, which include presiding over the Senate, casting tie-breaking votes, and supporting the President's agenda.</p><h2>3. Does Cheney's office have any specific powers or authorities?</h2><p>No, Cheney's office does not have any specific powers or authorities. However, the Vice President, as the head of the office, may have some influence in policy-making and decision-making processes within the Executive Branch.</p><h2>4. Is Cheney's office subject to oversight by Congress?</h2><p>Yes, Cheney's office is subject to oversight by Congress. This means that Congress has the authority to investigate and review the actions and decisions of the Vice President and their office.</p><h2>5. Can the President remove the Vice President from their office?</h2><p>No, the President cannot remove the Vice President from their office. The Vice President can only be removed through impeachment by Congress, similar to the process for removing a President from office.</p>

1. Is Cheney's office considered part of the Executive Branch?

Yes, Cheney's office is considered part of the Executive Branch of the United States government. This is because the Vice President, who heads the office, is a member of the Executive Branch and is second in line for the presidency after the President.

2. What is the purpose of Cheney's office?

The purpose of Cheney's office is to assist and advise the Vice President in their duties and responsibilities, which include presiding over the Senate, casting tie-breaking votes, and supporting the President's agenda.

3. Does Cheney's office have any specific powers or authorities?

No, Cheney's office does not have any specific powers or authorities. However, the Vice President, as the head of the office, may have some influence in policy-making and decision-making processes within the Executive Branch.

4. Is Cheney's office subject to oversight by Congress?

Yes, Cheney's office is subject to oversight by Congress. This means that Congress has the authority to investigate and review the actions and decisions of the Vice President and their office.

5. Can the President remove the Vice President from their office?

No, the President cannot remove the Vice President from their office. The Vice President can only be removed through impeachment by Congress, similar to the process for removing a President from office.