Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chern-Simons and massive A^{\mu}

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1
    Hi, I am struggling with a problem in field theory:
    We are looking at a Chern-Simons Lagrangian describing a massive A field:
    [itex]L = -\frac{1}{4} F^{\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu}+\frac{m}{4}\epsilon^{\mu\nu \rho}F_{\mu\nu}A_{\rho}[/itex]
    I find those field equations:
    [itex]\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\lambda}=-\frac{m}{2} \epsilon^{\lambda\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu}[/itex] and now I need to show that F satisfies the Klein-Gordon equation: [itex](\Box+m^2)F_{\mu\nu}=0[/itex] using the EL equations, but after a time playing with both equations, I still can't prove that.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2012 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's normal here to introduce the dual of the field strength

[tex]\tilde{F}^\lambda = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon^{\lambda\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu}.[/tex]

Then taking the divergence of your equation of motion above yields [itex] \partial_\lambda \tilde{F}^\lambda = 0,[/itex] while multiplying by an appropriate epsilon yields the KG equation for [itex]\tilde{F}^\lambda[/itex].

4. Jan 7, 2012 #3
    Thanks a lot. I did manage to find the Klein Gordon equation for the dual, then it's just a matter of applying another LeviCivita to find it for the "regular" form. ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook