Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chewing gum improves memory

1. May 18, 2004 #1

ShawnD

Science Advisor

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1870763.stm
    Hmm, interesting :smile:

It might be old news but it's still interesting.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2004 #2
  4. May 18, 2004 #3
    I wonder if any1 has Any possible explanation for that? Does that mean that animals which chew all the time have good memories ;D

5. May 18, 2004 #4

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I heard about this on Discovery Channel today. The guy said it's because chewing gum stimulates the front part of the brain which is tied to learning stuff. Exercising the brain keeps it sharp :wink:.

Yes, cows probably do have good memory. That's why they'll kill you the first chance they get! (from the Simpsons).

6. May 18, 2004 #5
    does the action of chewing resemble the action of talking?
    if yes perhaps it can be determined if there is difference between reading a material out loud and reading the material whisperly (in respect to memory).

7. May 18, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the NewScientist.com

:biggrin:

8. May 18, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It does say they tested 1/3 who chewed gum, 1/3 who mimicked the chewing movement and the rest who did not chew, but it doesn't mention whether there was a difference between the gum and mimick chewers :)

But I don't think it is related to the study, since the chewing is related with a food-reflex. Reading out loud would seem distracting to me, since you're more worried about articulating and speaking the words than the context of the text, but that might just be me :)

9. May 25, 2004 #8
    I'm just interested in whether I should run to the shop and buy some gum.
    So is it true or not :frown:

Probably not. Otherwise Sportlife would have used this argument that it improves your memory in TV spots all the sime! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?