1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chicago state

1. Apr 13, 2006 #1
    is chicago state university better than washington ? Except Wahington, Chicago, what good schools near the border, cold in winter, cool in summer you can introduce?
    I also want to know why school fee in Canada is cheaper than US, what do shcools in US offer better compare to Canadas ?
    The degree from both after all be equally acepted by NorthAmerica companies, right ?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

If you're a US resident, i do not think resident rates apply in Canadian schools so you might be paying $10,000 a year for a Canadian school just like foreigners pay $10,000's a year here because the government's supplement the fees. Thus, they do not want to supplement people who don't live there since the theory goes that you pay taxes as a resident which means you in a sense already payed (or your parents) a higher tuition.

4. Apr 13, 2006 #3
    I have moved around a bit and attended 3 schools and have come the the conclusion that there is very little difference. Same books, same problems, more or less the same mix of teaching quality as far as I'm concerned. In fact, i'd say that the quality of my teachers at the community college I first attended, was better than my current University professors! I'd say that location and price alter your college experience more than University name.

5. Apr 13, 2006 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you think price has any remote bearing on quality?

The cost of a degree is determined by many factors dependent upon your place of origin and the school's status and location.

For instance tuition at Bowdoin is a whopping $32,650 per year

http://www.bowdoin.edu/admissions/studentaid/

Berkeley's fees are somewhat more realistic, approx $2,700 for California residents (add $8,000 for non residents).

http://registrar.berkeley.edu/Registration/feesched.html

and I doubt anyone will put hand on heart and tell you that Bowdoin is a better choice than Berkeley, though I may be being very unfair here and I am biased by my predisposition to viewing things through the mathematics department, but then that is all I can judge fairly.

6. Apr 13, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

That's also a good point matt, there is a univeristy here that is like, $20,000 a year adn it's where all the elementary school teacher wanna-bes go and become $20,000 a year salaried elementary school teachers with nothing special about them.

7. Apr 13, 2006 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I should point out that when I say 'status' I mean 'is state subsidized' or 'is private' etc, and it is not a comment on any other interpretation of the word 'status'.

Incidentally, based upon your current sig, why on earth do you hate linear algebra? It's just representations of a field and is very nice and simple (though possibly badly explained).

8. Apr 13, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Very much so....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?