Comparing Schools: US vs Canada - Cold Winters & Low Fees!

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between Chicago State University and Washington, as well as the differences in school fees between the US and Canada. There is a debate on whether school fees reflect the quality of education and it is pointed out that factors such as location and status also play a role. The importance of linear algebra is also briefly mentioned.
Drimar
is chicago state university better than washington ? Except Wahington, Chicago, what good schools near the border, cold in winter, cool in summer you can introduce?
I also want to know why school fee in Canada is cheaper than US, what do shcools in US offer better compare to Canadas ?
The degree from both after all be equally acepted by NorthAmerica companies, right ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're a US resident, i do not think resident rates apply in Canadian schools so you might be paying $10,000 a year for a Canadian school just like foreigners pay $10,000's a year here because the government's supplement the fees. Thus, they do not want to supplement people who don't live there since the theory goes that you pay taxes as a resident which means you in a sense already payed (or your parents) a higher tuition.

I have moved around a bit and attended 3 schools and have come the the conclusion that there is very little difference. Same books, same problems, more or less the same mix of teaching quality as far as I'm concerned. In fact, i'd say that the quality of my teachers at the community college I first attended, was better than my current University professors! I'd say that location and price alter your college experience more than University name.

Drimar said:
I also want to know why school fee in Canada is cheaper than US, what do shcools in US offer better compare to Canadas ?

Why do you think price has any remote bearing on quality?

The cost of a degree is determined by many factors dependent upon your place of origin and the school's status and location.

For instance tuition at Bowdoin is a whopping $32,650 per year

http://www.bowdoin.edu/admissions/studentaid/

Berkeley's fees are somewhat more realistic, approx $2,700 for California residents (add $8,000 for non residents).

http://registrar.berkeley.edu/Registration/feesched.html

and I doubt anyone will put hand on heart and tell you that Bowdoin is a better choice than Berkeley, though I may be being very unfair here and I am biased by my predisposition to viewing things through the mathematics department, but then that is all I can judge fairly.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's also a good point matt, there is a univeristy here that is like, $20,000 a year adn it's where all the elementary school teacher wanna-bes go and become $20,000 a year salaried elementary school teachers with nothing special about them.

I should point out that when I say 'status' I mean 'is state subsidized' or 'is private' etc, and it is not a comment on any other interpretation of the word 'status'.

Incidentally, based upon your current sig, why on Earth do you hate linear algebra? It's just representations of a field and is very nice and simple (though possibly badly explained).

matt grime said:
Incidentally, based upon your current sig, why on Earth do you hate linear algebra? It's just representations of a field and is very nice and simple (though possibly badly explained).

Very much so...

What are the main differences between schools in the US and Canada?

Schools in the US and Canada have several key differences, including educational systems, curriculum, and funding. In the US, education is primarily funded by local property taxes, while in Canada it is mostly funded by the provincial government. Additionally, the US has a larger emphasis on standardized testing and a wider variety of extracurricular activities, while Canada tends to focus more on well-rounded education and community involvement.

How do the winters in the US and Canada affect schools?

The harsh winters in both the US and Canada can have a significant impact on schools. In the US, schools may have to close due to extreme weather conditions, resulting in missed instructional time. In Canada, schools often have to adapt to the cold temperatures and heavy snowfall, such as by providing students with proper winter gear or implementing indoor recess policies.

Are there differences in fees for attending schools in the US and Canada?

The fees for attending schools in the US and Canada can vary greatly. In the US, public education is typically free, while private schools can range from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands of dollars per year. In Canada, public education is also free, but some provinces may have additional fees for things like textbooks or school supplies. Private schools in Canada tend to have lower fees compared to the US.

How do the educational systems in the US and Canada compare?

The educational systems in the US and Canada have some key differences. In the US, education is decentralized, meaning each state has its own education system and standards. In Canada, education is more centralized, with provincial governments setting curriculum and standards. Additionally, the US has a larger focus on individual competition and grades, while Canada emphasizes cooperation and overall academic growth.

How do the low fees in Canada affect the quality of education?

The lower fees for education in Canada do not necessarily reflect the quality of education. While the fees may be lower, the Canadian education system is still highly regarded and produces competitive and well-educated individuals. Factors such as funding, curriculum, and teaching methods also play a significant role in the quality of education, rather than just the cost.