Choosing a Major: Physics, Mathematics, or Engineering?

• Programs
  • Thread starter anthonych414
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, this person is interested in reading books about mathematics and physics. They are currently reading The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, and 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics by Clifford A. Pickover.
anthonych414
hello, I am about to enter my sophomore year of high school and I'm thinking about what I should major in in university I want to do physics because and become a theoretical physicist, or do pure mathematics, but my parents want me to study engineering because they think that if I study physics or math I'll end up as a high school teacher and starve to death.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the best answer is a question...

What are you interested in?

Most people who study physics/math in university don't become high school teachers... unless they go into the education stream. Additionally, I don't remember the last time I saw a high school teacher starving to death. Over here in Canada they do alright.

You might want to focus more on getting the best grades possible for your next 3 years of high school. Take as many math and science courses as your school offers and make sure to prepare well for standardized exams(AP exams, SATs, etc).

If you can get into a decent college with a full scholarship, your parents probably would let you major in anything you want.

Don't listen to your parents. Follow your heart. You'll thank me later. (And this is coming from an engineering major who is always encouraging people to go for engineering.)

Okay, I think that it's way too early for you to decide what you want to major in. Chances are that you have a skewed perception of what theoretical physics and pure math are. As a sophomore, I was definitely into the whole idea of theoretical physics, but I don't think I really understood what theoretical or experimental physics were, and I think a majority of young people interested in theoretical physics don't really either. Just take your time and take a wide variety of science classes and see what you like like. You can even take a wide variety of classes in college. High school courses are much different than college courses, and you might find in college that you like something you didn't before, and don't like something you did. A physics degree is vary versatile, and if you get an ungergrad in it, you can go on to many different graduate or professional schools (med school, law school, engineering grad school etc...) so you would in no way be wasting time getting a physics degree. Even if you did become a physicist, you wouldn't be working as a high school teacher, but the job market is pretty competitive so you'd definitely have to fight for jobs. I would say, just hold out and decide when you have a better understanding of what physics really is, and after you have taken courses in other topics to make sure physics and math is what you want to do.

Agreed with above posts. It's pretty unlikely you really know that you want to do theoretical physics because you probably haven't been really exposed to it yet (if you have kudos to you). Your interests will *probably* shift a lot over the coming few years, so take a lot of different stuff. Study biology, robotics, history, music, whatever. You definitely want to keep your options open.

thanks everyone for the advice

Elante said:
Agreed with above posts. It's pretty unlikely you really know that you want to do theoretical physics because you probably haven't been really exposed to it yet (if you have kudos to you). Your interests will *probably* shift a lot over the coming few years, so take a lot of different stuff. Study biology, robotics, history, music, whatever. You definitely want to keep your options open.

I can't choose which courses to take at my school, in grade 10 I have to choose to go either scientific or literary, and in 12th i have to choose to go between General Sciences, Life Sciences, Or Sociology and Economics

Huh that's interesting. If you don't mind me asking, where do you go to school?

So what courses do you have available for next year? Surely you don't have to take *only* science courses or literature courses.

One question,have you ever read books about mathematics or physics?

Elante said:
Huh that's interesting. If you don't mind me asking, where do you go to school?

So what courses do you have available for next year? Surely you don't have to take *only* science courses or literature courses.

I go to the International School Of Choueifat, it's a private school in Lebanon
http://www.isckoura-sabis.net

These are my courses for the Tenth Grade

1. English
2. Mathematics (Calculus and PreCalc)
3. Physics (Mechanics I)
4. Chemistry
5. Biology (Biology 10th Edition by Sylvia S. Mader)
6. French
7. Arabic
8. Social Studies (Geography and Civics)

Last edited by a moderator:
physics_pupil said:
One question,have you ever read books about mathematics or physics?

yes, I am currently reading The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics by Clifford A. Pickover, and using Thomas' Calculus for self study.

anthonych414 said:
yes, I am currently reading The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics by Clifford A. Pickover, and using Thomas' Calculus for self study.

Well,keep on reading.If you want a good book about physics,there's the "Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking;and a one about mathematics,"Fermat's Last Theorem" by Simon Singh.

physics_pupil said:
Well,keep on reading.If you want a good book about physics,there's the "Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking;and a one about mathematics,"Fermat's Last Theorem" by Simon Singh.

I read A Brief History Of Time and i plan on reading Fermat's last theorem

very well.Keep on the reading!

As always, I feel like I must barge into threads like this and give a recommendation for everyone and anyone who's reading to read books by/about Richard Feynman. They're not always technical (the biographies at least), but they're hilarious and great fun to read. The Feynman Lectures are a great tool for physics, you should try those at the very least.

anthonych414 said:
they think that if I study physics or math I'll end up as a high school teacher and starve to death.

Why are people so fond of this expression?
When have you ever met a starving high school teacher?

anthonych414 said:
but my parents want me to study engineering because they think that if I study physics or math I'll end up as a high school teacher and starve to death.

Medwell said:
Why are people so fond of this expression?
When have you ever met a starving high school teacher?

Some people just take the bringing an apple to class too literally.

Related to Choosing a Major: Physics, Mathematics, or Engineering?

1. What is the difference between physics, mathematics, and engineering as majors?

Physics is the study of matter and energy and their interactions, while mathematics is the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes. Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and create solutions to real-world problems. Each major has its own unique focus and applications, but there may be overlap in coursework and career paths.

2. Which major is the most challenging?

This largely depends on the individual's strengths and interests. Physics and mathematics may be more challenging for those who struggle with analytical and abstract thinking, while engineering may be more challenging for those who struggle with hands-on and practical tasks. However, each major requires a strong foundation in math and problem-solving skills.

3. What career opportunities are available with each major?

Physics majors may pursue careers in research, teaching, or technical writing. Mathematics majors may find opportunities in data analysis, finance, or actuarial science. Engineering majors have a wide range of career options, including civil, mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering, among others.

4. How can I decide which major is right for me?

It is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when choosing a major. Research each major and speak with professors, advisors, and current students to get a better understanding of the coursework and potential career paths. You may also consider taking introductory courses in each subject to see which one you are most passionate about.

5. Can I switch majors if I change my mind?

Yes, it is possible to switch majors, but it may require additional coursework and time. It is important to carefully consider your decision and perhaps speak with an advisor before making the switch. It is also important to keep in mind that some courses may not transfer between majors, so switching too late in your academic career may result in a delay in graduation.